1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Administrator
20,155 Posts
It IS cool, brantwash. This (or similar gizmo) has been posted here in the past. I'm not sure of the legality but I suspect it would be iffy at best if not forbidden outright as some sort of driver distraction for drivers following. Think of having an LED TV displayed in the rear with the SuperBowl playing. Could it cause issues? But perhaps others can cite actual law.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Way to invite tailgating as its too small to see from far away.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems small sure, but is quite readable even from 2-3 car lengths. I was thinking this morning that maybe there is a way I could splice into the top brake light for power? Then it's only on when stopped or slowing....?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I like it, and it looks well done and thought up. It's just the general motoring public is not too bright and likely distracted when they "drive"

I mean, just think about the average person and how smart they are.....And realize 50% of the population is dumber.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It definitely looks cool! I don't know about the legality of such things but I believe that it's been said that similar lighting is iffy.

If I was to do this, and if it were possible, I'd rather do something like you suggested about connecting it to the brake lights and have it say something to the effect of "Please don't tailgate". But given the idiots that tailgate me they would just do it more.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's a pretty nifty and great idea! I don't know what the state laws are for this type of thing, but it can't be any more "dangerous" that the animated billboards that line the freeways, or the rolling signs that are vinyl-wrapped trucks and business vehicles.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
True, but when they get distracted by this, they are going to ram right into him.

That is if they can put the damn phone down long enough to notice.

·
4,862 Posts
Like the Skrillex playing in the background ;)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I had a Saturn Sky roadster with a plastic panel behind the seats to block the wind turbulence coming into the cabin when the top was down. *The neat thing about this panel is you can have it custom laser engraved with any image you want. *The panel had red or blue LEDs that came on with the brake lights. *I believe they even had a two color version where one color displayed when your lights are on and changed to a different color when the brakes lights lit.

Here's a link

http://www.windrestrictor.com/Saturn_Sky/index.html

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The only issue I can see with this idea is that it blocks your view out of the back window and someone might tailgate you to read it.

Otherwise it looks very cool!

·
Registered
906 Posts
the main thing I have seen in regards to laws are that the police can give you trouble for "emergency colors" out of place on your vehicle.. in ohio blue lights are not allowed anywhere anytime.. red is only allowed in the rear.. white in front or in rear when backing.. there are no restrictions on orange and green lights.. (hence why rent-a-cops usually have amber / green light bars)
most time the police wont give any trouble unless someone is truly trying to impersonate and emergency vehicle.. however they CAN if they want..
-Christopher

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Better yet rig it such that when your using L regen its says IM SLOWING DOWN NOW!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, but I use that window to look out to avoid running over my neighbors kids as the dash across my driveway sidewalk. I do always walk behind my car before I back up too....
Sure, but this unit is so small, you can clearly see out that little window above and below and to the sides of the unit. That visibility plus the backup cam makes it mostly a non issue for me :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts