GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've owned my 2013 Gen 1 for about a year and a half now. Like most auto enthusiasts I'm always looking for ways to improve my car (although it has been an awesome vehicle). I installed a "Volt screen" after reading about others who had road debris damage their very expensive radiators. $40 seems like cheap insurance to me. I did the WOT mod to avoid a false coolant level sensor fault that will keep the car from charging until a dealer reflashes the ECU to clear the fault (not covered under warranty) only to have the problem return later. Another $40 of cheap insurance. Like other Gen 1 owners, I've noticed the factory headlights are very weak almost to the point of dangerous on unlit back roads. After searching the forum and reading reviews for OEM type halogen replacements, HID kits and LED kits. I read about flickering problems with HIDs (don't need that), fan noise with LEDs (very annoying in a very quiet vehicle), or very little improvement with upgraded halogen lamps. I didn't really want to spend $150 on a headlight kit so when I found this fanless LED kit on Amazon XtremeVision V4 32W 4,800LM - 9012 LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 6500K Korea CSP LED - Fanless Design - 2018 Model I decided to try them out for $35. Huge improvement! All the wiring and components fit inside the headlight assembly, no need to cut or modify the lens covers, no fan noise, no flickering. I did have to adjust the LED housing so the lamps will be vertical, very easy. They really shoot a lot more light to the outside edges and the light is a nice bright white color that makes road signs and the lines on the road really stand out. Been a couple of months with no problems but I do keep the original lamps in the car just in case. The technology for LED seems to be improving every year in these aftermarket kits because it's difficult to get several LED to cast an even light pattern. The CSP chip set seems to overcome this problem, not perfect, but close. Just thought I would share this inexpensive mod that really works.

G

·
I would be very careful about using drop in replacements like this as they often result in poor focus and lots of light scatter. This is mostly a concern for oncoming traffic even if things look good from inside the vehicle. Have you checked the light cutoff compared to the original bulb?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
They fit - 9012. $30? Wow, seems too good to be true but there it is.

I'm a little curious how this air flow is supposed to work, especially with the dust caps on. Mine (different brand/design) have large braided heat sinks, trapped inside the dust cover, so I'm not sure heat is a big deal. Mine don't get all that warm really.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point

I was concerned about the light pattern these LED's would produce. But seems to be very close to the OEM lamps. After replacing the left lamp I compared the pattern to the right side. It is important to adjust/align the base so the lamps will be vertical or I could see how the light lobes would be shooting in the wrong directions. The low beam shutter looks to be blocking the light at the same point as the original headlight and I haven't had anyone flashing their lights at me to tell me they're getting blinded.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mentions improving his car, brags about LED headlight bulbs ��*♂
BRAG??? You have a pretty LOW threshold to use the word "brag". No brag from where I stand, just trying to pass along information that might be useful to some - like me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
are these low beam only ? does that remove high beam functionality or is that a separate bulb ? (I haven't looked at how the headlights work)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Gen One only has a single bulb inside a projector with a shutter that closes to provide a low beam.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does it use less electricity?

I might change them for that. I don't drive at night so the ones I have seem ok to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the linked LED set and got them installed earlier today.

It was much easier than I expected, though I am slightly concerned about how hot they get with all the wires and resister/ballast thingie all tucked up inside along side the bulb cavity.

They work amazing.

I also finally got around to putting a high brightness backup led replacement in.

Now I just want to get some of those switching led turn signals (on white/flash amber), some LED strips somewhere along the headlights and/or behind grill, and of course someday get the rear reflectors and tails converted to led.

Anyway, thanks to the OP, it was quick and painless and results are amazing upgrade from OEM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was a little worried about heat build up with the lamps being enclosed in the headlight housing. I left them on for about 20 minutes before I put the dust cover on, and felt the cooling fins on the bulbs. They were warm to the touch but not so hot I couldn't hold my hand to them. I didn't have an infra red thermometer to check the exact temp. I believe as long as the cooling fins at the base can transfer the heat away from the LED's they should be fine. I've been running them for a couple of months now with no issues. Still carry the original lamps in the car in case one goes out on the road. Takes just a few minutes to swap one out.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Temperatures with LED rigs have been a source of great interest to me along the way.

My first upgrade had a mesh "flower petal" heatsink like yours (see write up here). Spread out but completely enclosed it performed fine and the heat was never an issue.

My second upgrade from the PartsSquare 9006 (HB4) was to a fan-cooled system (Morimoto “2Stroke”), also completely enclosed in the headlight assembly, which worried me even more, but with a fair amount of testing I relaxed about the temperatures and that setup is still serving me well in my car. [Full write up here] Specifics of temperature monitoring start at post #7 second round at post#12.

·
Registered
10 Posts
These do work very well, ordered some on Amazon the other day and installed them yesterday, ran them last night in a very rural area- they're great as far as fitting in the housing, easy install, no modification, no flicker- as for the change in night time brightness on low beam, I'd say they're like a blue (white) color temperature version of the stock bulbs.. On main (high) beam they do seem to show a little more detail but that might be the crisper color temperature and the prevalence for making signs and reflectors "pop", but I'm not totally convinced they are a huge upgrade as far as dumping more light down range. Tonight I'm going to try re-installing one of the OEM halogen bulbs and doing some comparisons with a piece of cardboard on a dark road to try to see if it's my imagination, or if they are nearly the same as OEM lumens output. This is my first foray into LED lights, on previous cars I just installed HID kits behind factory lens style headlights and had great output. I might need a higher output LED to make me personally happy, but I do a lot of rural night driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts