GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LED Headlight Failure_Morimoto 2Stroke 9012 Kit

On 5/2017 I installed a set of Morimoto “2Stroke” 9012 LED headlights and have been very happy with them up to this point.

Unfortunately tonight one of the LED packages failed on the way home with the emitters going dim and flickering.

The warranty is supposed to be 18 months, I'm currently at 14 months.

I have contacted Morimoto, we'll see what happens and will post follow ups

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You might ad a disclaimer that you have to trim some material off the tabs of the 9006, then they will work.
No, actually nothing required 'trimming' as these G2 9006 are 100% compatible/direct fit into the 9012 compatible headlamp sockets of the Gen1!:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, but as Dutch pointed out these G2 are actually 9006 and can be used in lieu of 9012 form factor (mine have worked the past year) although 9012 is actually the proper type for the Gen1...
With these did you leave the headlight dust cap on without any heat problems? I know they have built in fans, just not sure of the heat can go anywhere? Thanks

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
With these did you leave the headlight dust cap on without any heat problems? I know they have built in fans, just not sure of the heat can go anywhere? Thanks
Been installed since beginning of last year with the OEM headlamp dustcover attached w/o issue...unaffected by these climate-change recent summer temps!:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been installed since beginning of last year with the OEM headlamp dustcover attached w/o issue...unaffected by these climate-change recent summer temps!:D
Thanks, I'm going to order a set of the newer G4 9012's Dutch linked to, they look like they got lower in profile from the G2.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to order a set of the newer G4 9012's Dutch linked to, they look like they got lower in profile from the G2.
Cool!:cool:

Please let us know how they work out for you...I see they are currently @$60 on amazon. I may eventually upgrade myself if amazon offered these with the 10% coupon like the older G2s are listed right now!:)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018SV3OSM?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

I put these in my Volt. They were plug-and-play, and fit everything inside the dust cap (no cutting).
8th Gen. ZES Chips 9006 HB4 LED Headlight Conversion Kit Review

[video=youtube;zDO9xt8KncU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDO9xt8KncU[/url][/video]

yeah, that was the exact set of LEDs I had installed just a year prior to the careless lady above 'fixing' this for me (please excuse my colorful language in the video)...hence why I went with the G2s when the body shop had to replace both headlamps due to scratches and a crack in the lens!:p

Surprised these still cost almost $100 via amazon!:eek:

EDIT: The off-color language was NOT directed to the little old lady but rather to the idiot in the giant SUV that she later admitted had 'waved' her thru...

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

All those Chinese manufacturers keep churning these suckers out!:p

Expect another half-dozen or more to choose from just for 2018!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, good news, they are sending me a replacement unit :)
Thanks Morimoto and The Retrofit Source.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aaaand... while I was messing with this whole thing, I dropped the 9012 adapter collar down a storm drain :O
Another phone call to Morimoto and they were like "lol... sure no problem we'll send you another one"

Whew!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So of COURSE the fates would decide that today would be dark and drizzly and there would be a cop sitting in the 7-11 when I pull in to get coffee.

Cop: "Sir, you have a headlight out."
Me: "Yes I know, I have a replacement coming to me."
Cop: "Well I'll just give you a warning, but with this weather you need to go to a parts store and get a new bulb"
Me: Okay Officer, thank you.

I REALLY hope the part is in my mailbox tonight or I'll have to dig out those cursed halogen bulbs again :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
So of COURSE the fates would decide that today would be dark and drizzly and there would be a cop sitting in the 7-11 when I pull in to get coffee.

Cop: "Sir, you have a headlight out."
Me: "Yes I know, I have a replacement coming to me."
Cop: "Well I'll just give you a warning, but with this weather you need to go to a parts store and get a new bulb"
Me: Okay Officer, thank you.

I REALLY hope the part is in my mailbox tonight or I'll have to dig out those cursed halogen bulbs again :p
I just got the G4's you linked previously and I kept the stock halogens in the box along with a pair of nitrile gloves. I stored the box in the rear trunk compartment just in case one of them went out. I hope your replacement comes in soon!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I was talking about this situation on one of the "flashlight forums" and I got a side chat saying "we'll send you a set of lights if you will install and review them for us".

So now I ALSO have a set of these coming in... (I know literally NOTHING about this brand so this is not a recommendation, just a comment)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QFX56T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is starting to get amusing

1 - 20 of 48 Posts