GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the threads on LEDs and decided I wanted to do this. The trouble is, the ones that were mentioned are no longer available. Some places point to a 9006 instead of a 9012. From the research I've done it seems like the only option is this one but it's a 9006 and uses CREE bulbs.

Anyone purchase a set recently that they would recommend?

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Those new ones look considerably improved. Let us know how they work. I might upgrade from the older style LEDs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My LED's are fine until I get out on the highway. Then they disappoint every time.
Wow - really? Can you explain further? What type of LED Headlights are you using? I would have thought they would have been improved regardless. Is it possible you need to adjust them "down" more so they reflect off the road? Any improvement with high beams?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My LED's are fine until I get out on the highway. Then they disappoint every time.
I don't know if this applies to you, but I've noticed an interesting phenomenon with my LED headlights that I struggle to explain to others.

At a long distance (several hundred yards) they seem to light up everything evenly this creates a lack of contrast and my eyes and mind tend to interpret that as "not being illuminated". In fact what is going on is that there really isn't anything important to my brain at that distance. However if something appears and creates a contrast such as a deer stepping onto the shoulder or coming up on another vehicle, then my perceptions "snap" to that object almost instantly.

So it took a while to get over the "anxious" feeling that I couldn't see in the distance.

I think part of this is because we are all used to "point source" lights with a center hot-spot tapering off to side spill which creates some contrast along the entire length of the projected beam of light and that isn't how most LED based lights work.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The biggest thing I notice about my XenonDepot LED headlights is that reflective street signs seem to “light up” much brighter than with halogen headlights. I assume this is due to the higher color temperature of the light, 6000K. It takes some getting used to. There are also some relatively minor focal issues (beam pattern differences), but the greater light output more than makes up for that compared to stock bulbs. I personally don’t have any complaints about highway use or long distances. Overall, I am glad I upgraded and would never go back to stock on my Gen 1.

It looks like this newer model LED has slightly lower color temp, more light output, and a narrower LED for better focal geometry. Plus they can be rotated in the collars so you can more easily get them vertical in the housing. These look like a great choice. You can probably find competing products for half the money, but IMO you would be taking more of a chance on quality. A lot of members have had good results with XenonDepot. Getting something that works without any headaches is worth extra.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It looks like this newer model LED has slightly lower color temp, more light output, and a narrower LED for better focal geometry. Plus they can be rotated in the collars so you can more easily get them vertical in the housing.
STOP THAT! I do NOT need to upgrade my headlights AGAIN! <grin>.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow - really? Can you explain further? What type of LED Headlights are you using? I would have thought they would have been improved regardless. Is it possible you need to adjust them "down" more so they reflect off the road? Any improvement with high beams?

Thanks.
I have XenonDepot LED headlights and they simply are not bright enough to see anything but directly in front of me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just got some morimoto 35w kit with CANBUS. XenonDepot seemed expensive for what you get. Morimoto has a 5 year warranty and it's an HID kit - i got the 4500k version to emulated HID from luxury vehicles (I had an acura TSX with HIDs that I loved at night. felt safe and looked so much better than our halogens)

Will be installing in a few weeks and will report back here.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Is the Morimoto wired by just plugging in to the headlight harness, or do you have to splice or make remote connections?

·
Registered
18 Posts
according to www.theretrofitsource.com, if you get the canbus addition, it should be relatively plug and play. you do have to drill into the back cap, but there are instructions and grommets/o-rings included for this. Morimoto has a <1% failure rate. i just wanted quality/no fires. i think it was cheaper than XenonDepot and no heatsink necessary

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm using Browview V8 9012 LEDs. Its basically the latest generation leds, generation 8. Very bright even now during the raining weather. Its plug n play and no need for relays or anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to second the HID's, got mine from LightWerkz (same kit as Pittlst) and they are bright. Super easy install, very reliable. 5 year warranty can't be beat either. If one can wait for BF sale, they usually have a coupon on the website as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts