GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out what the color temperature is of the 2017 LED low-beam headlights? I'd like to swap in some SMZ LED high-beam bulbs from VLED.com, but would like the color temperatures to match the OEM low-beams.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone figured out what the color temperature is of the 2017 LED low-beam headlights? I'd like to swap in some SMZ LED high-beam bulbs from VLED.com, but would like the color temperatures to match the OEM low-beams.
What's your goal here? To gain a better outside "look" of the car by having the same color temps? (Granted your brights shouldn't be on when oncoming traffic is around) Boost the lumen output so you can see better? Reduce electrical usage?

If the goal is to boost lumen output then just buy yourself some 9011/HIR1 bulbs (REAL ones, not knocks offs, get them from CandlePower, google it). They produce like 2350 lumens, within 50 lumens of the LED bulbs you referenced. You're not going to notice that difference. They use the same electric requirements as the stock ones so you don't need to change or add ANYTHING to the wires. They produce the same heat as the stock ones so you don't have to worry about damaging your plastic headlights. They're not legal since you have to modify them, but those LEDs wouldn't be legal either. Honestly I would trust the HIR's more since their physical properties of the bulb are much closer to the 9005 stock bulbs so the reflector design will be a better fit. Who knows how close the LED bulbs you linked are to the 9005 when it comes to generating the light inside the reflector housing....

Oh, and they're like less then $50 (maybe $30, I can't remember what I paid for mine) compared to $100+ for the LED ones...

Now if you're trying to match color for looks... is it really that important? Do you run with the high beams on all the time? Please tell me you turn them off when there are other cars around that might actually see them....

Reduced electric load? Don't bother, a handful of watts won't increase your range, especially since the high beams are not on 24/7. Probably turning your heater setting down just a degree or two would be more of an electric savings then the headlight bulb difference.

Sorry to dash your idea, but the HIR bulbs are going to be the best non-stock bulb for those since they're so close to the same design as the stock ones. (The two little tabs on the base of the bulbs are SUPER easy to modify [cut off] and then they plug in like normal.)

Edit: I run these in my car since I got it (about 4 months) and haven't had anyone flash their bights at me or anything. I will say that I'm responsible and don't use my high beams if I see oncoming traffic or if I'm behind anyone. These are really only used late at night on a highway or side streets. I haven't experienced any heat issues (shouldn't period. They're exactly the same wattage so exactly the same amount of energy that might be converted to heat) and I have a clear protective film on my headlights to keep them from being pitted, sandblasted, and UV degraded. The low beams are great in this car, with the HIRs that high beams are amazing too, No one needs more light then this. In fact, you're probably limited by the reflector housing design at this point then the actual lumens being generated.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goal is maximum lumens without adding heat or load. I do a lot of rural night driving, not meeting another car for several miles at a time. The current orange glows the high-beams put out are not what I want. The high beams add almost nothing to the range I can see down the road and the color difference from the low beams makes it all the more difficult to identify animals along the road. So since I plan to change out the bulbs anyway, I thought matching the color temperature would be nice to throw in the package.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the 9011=9005 info though. I wasn't aware they were more or less interchangeable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the 9011=9005 info though. I wasn't aware they were more or less interchangeable.
Please confirm with the manual on if the highs are 9005 or 9006. Then it's either the 9011 HIR1 or 9012 HIR2 bulbs. Their physical design is basically 100% the same base, the ONLY difference is a little "notched" tab that has been added to the base to keep the bulbs from being used in legacy 9005/9006 applications. Probably more for a legal certification/testing reason then any actual real world issues. They're the same watt as the 9005/9006 so there can't be more heat being produce (if so, you found a magic free energy device) and they won't throw any codes since the load on the electric system will be exactly the same.

You can see the different standard lumen outputs of bulbs here: http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/bulb_types/bulb_types.html

You can see that by adding the HIR bulbs you basically get ~40% more lumen output from EACH bulb. It's a lot of light on the road. I bought mine from CandlePower (online) and there is a little guide online how to modify the bulb. I used a dermal and just cut off the extra tab and compared it to the old bulb that I pulled out of the car. Seriously took maybe 5 minutes with the first since I was going slow and then a minute on the second bulb.

The color temp is really the only thing that you can't match with the HIRs.... everyone has their mind set on what kind of light they think they can see better in, but there's a lot of research that the color temp of most halogen bulbs is very close to an ideal color of light in the dark for actually maximizing what you can see while also maximizing the lumen output. They're ~$35, probably worth trying first and then if you need the LEDs you can walk down that path later...

Edit: Another thing to add, I really do think the weak spot is starting to come down to the housing design and reflectors. This puts out a huge amount of light and does really help see down the road more, BUT, it's very noticeable where the hot spots of light are and they seem rather high up and unfocused. You'll never get the cutting range power of a high powered flashlight that you can focus to be a spot light. The reflectors just can't produce that. I think you would be happy with the HIRs, but it's your money and your car :p

·
Registered
678 Posts
According to my color temperature meter, 4450K.

·
Registered
331 Posts
According to my color temperature meter, 4450K.

No way. 5000k is pure white. 5500k has a hint of blue. Volt's headlights have that hint of blue. 4450k is yellow range so not even close.

Volt's LED's are between 5500k-6000k I'd say. The perfect light output.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
No way. 5000k is pure white. 5500k has a hint of blue. Volt's headlights have that hint of blue. 4450k is yellow range so not even close.

Volt's LED's are between 5500k-6000k I'd say. The perfect light output.

Actually 4300k is pure white. That's why most OEM bulbs are that temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts