GM Volt Forum banner

How many of you have had your Volt accidentally left on?

• Yes, I have accidentally left the car powered on.

Votes: 82 25.8%
  • Yes, Someone else has accidentally left my car powered on.

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • No. This hasn't happened to me.

Votes: 225 70.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-

This has not yet happened to me, but to one of my more scatterbrained coworkers with a Volt. They came to work, in a rush, got out of the car, plugged in - but never shut the car off. The car ran down the battery (which was already low at the time) and the motor kicked on and was idling when they came outside after the workday.

My question is, what if this happened at home, in an enclosed garage. I realize there are several alarms this person ignored:

1) Audible alarm - opening the door to get out without the car being off
2) Visual alarm - daytime running lamps on

But he ran into the office and none of this dawned on him until he got outside hours later.

There is only so far the car can "protect us from ourselves," but EVs are quiet and people new to them, used to engines running for years and quiet as a cue that things are shut down, may make this mistake. Hell, people have driven off with their kids or pets still on the roofs of the cars! So this is an issue.

An issue which, though clearly the fault of inattentiveness, could lead to bad publicity the first time a family dies of CO2 inhalation from the engine running in the garage.

Is there anything that the car can do in its current state to warn of this condition?

-MKL

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This has happened to a few people on here. If this was not 'fixed' in the 2013 model, the GM is really behind the ball. It is an obvious issue. With all the catalytic convertors these days, I am not sure how much of a CO issue it is, but the car running unattended is clearly an issue.

It would appear there is a very simple fix for this. If the car is in park, and the car is about to transition over to engine, an alert should come on the screen that you have to acknowledge. If you do not, the car will shut itself off.

What I'd like to do is have someone with a new 2013 try this out on their car and see what happens.

Otherwise: Volt Advisors- FIND OUT IF THIS IS/WILL BE ADDRESSED

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think the point is that the car won't charge when plugged in while it is "On." I think this is also a case where the default behavior (absent user intervention) should be to shut off and begin charging. Car is in park, no key present, i've just been plugged in. What are the odds that the intent is to NOT charge, but leave it "on" depleting the battery?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Plugging in or not will make no difference, as charging operations are disabled if the Volt is already "ON" when plugging in

Then how long it will take for the ICE to start will depend on the SOC when the car was left ON.
But eventually it will get to 22% but because the vehicle isnt moving, this point is ignored (i.e. EV operation at low speeds)
When it hits ~16% ICE WILL START
However in this event, the ICE doesnt run constantly.
It essentially "cycles" ON and OFF as the SOC bounces back and forth between the buffer set points (i.e. ~16% ICE ON- 21-22% ICE OFF)
What you will notice is it only takes a few minutes of running to charge to 21% but then there is quite a delay as it slowly gets sapped down to 16%
So it stays OFF much longer than it stays ON (even if AC is ON)
This will continue until you run out of fuel when the car will pull the plug on itself and shut down at 15% SOC (and eventually killing the 12V battery as everything else stays ON)
Not much chance of this behavior is ever going to be changed

WOT

By the way in order to recover from this event
SYMPTOMS: 12V battery dead, plug-in charge wont commence. (no 12V so no proximity detected)
If 12V boosted car still won't engage propulsion (still bottomed out at 15%) "and the Waiting to Initiazlize" message may appear frozen
BUT THEN if plug-in the charge connector charging WILL commence and once you wait for SOC to come off the hard floor (15%) the propulsion system will come back online.
Once you DO get it "ON" of course you'll note the empty fuel tank from the low fuel warning

·
Registered
13 Posts
It does NOT start the engine if it is plugged in!

The 1st week I had my VOLT back in January of 2011 I got out of the car without turning it off. However I did plug it in to recharge. The next morning when I realized what I had done I noticed that the only bad thing that happened was the car was not fully recharged, it had not used any GAS so the engine did not start.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Not much chance of this behavior is ever going to be changed
Why? What reasons exist not to have a prompt or display when the car is parked and left on and about to switch over to gas? In a car that does so much, this seems like a trivial fix.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I must say that I have left my Volt powered on as well. 15-20 min later I questioned myself in the office and walked outside to my Volt, and sure enough it was on. The only advice I can give if you don't have the opportunity to simply take a quick walk outside is to either check remaining battery life via the Remote Link app or call your Volt advisor or Onstar and see if they can capture the status of your Volt. GM needs to include whether or not the car is powered on via status section on Remote Link. Seems like a simple programming upgrade to me.

·
4,860 Posts
If you get out of your Volt with your key FOB, and the Volt is left on, the vehicle does chime, but it's on the inside of the car and, without a window down, harder to hear. This is the "Remote not detected" chime.

1,214 Posts
They plugged in and the Volt was idling when they came back a few hours later?

Whenever I plug in and have the Volt turned on it doesn't startup the engine. Several people have posted about "camping" in their Volt with it plugged in overnight. I don't think their engines have started up.
Another happy VolterHome Camper! Especially in this recent heat wave- lol

-Note that the charging will NOT happen if the Volt is booted up ( ON ) before hooking up.

Since the Volt is plugged in and then booted up, it will idle all electric, charging the battery, AC in ECO until the next day. Since the Volt is charging with battery reserve, the ICE has no programed reason to engage.

Some of my used Prius buyers have reported a similar happening to the PO since there is no gas engine sound when stopping and getting out of their car. Very rare but it can happen.

So long as the SOC of the battery remains the ICE will NOT cycle on relative to outside temperature- MY2011/ MY2012-

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Lets pretend you are at the airport, in all the fuss about getting bags out, you leave the car on, and you're away for a vacation. Having remote-link tell you the car is on isnt going to help (unless you can turn it off with remote-link, and I doubt that will happen). this is so much more of an issue with an EV because you don't get all the normal queues that a car is left on.

We've already seen valets do it, as they don't always know what needs to be done. the engine won't be wurring to tell them they actually need to turn it off. We've already seen one lady report that she forgot about it, and came out to a garage filled with fumes. We are just a small sampling of users. So its going to happen more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Lets pretend you are at the airport, in all the fuss about getting bags out, you leave the car on, and you're away for a vacation. Having remote-link tell you the car is on isnt going to help (unless you can turn it off with remote-link, and I doubt that will happen). this is so much more of an issue with an EV because you don't get all the normal queues that a car is left on.

We've already seen valets do it, as they don't always know what needs to be done. the engine won't be wurring to tell them they actually need to turn it off. We've already seen one lady report that she forgot about it, and came out to a garage filled with fumes. We are just a small sampling of users. So its going to happen more.
There is a cancel start feature on remote link. Why couldn't you press that? Will it not work under this seniero?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It may. Since I have read about people dropping their wives off at a store (when she had the keys to the car in her purse) and then driving away to do their errands, successfully turning the car off without the key fob being present, I guess it could work.

I guess what I'm saying is this is so easily avoided by a simple center screen prompt. The remote-link would be nice if you wanted to be able to turn it off before it reached the engine turn-on point. I just figure there are more safety concerns involved with allowing an application to disable a car. Would seem more prone to error and accidental disabling of the car when its moving.

With the software prompt, when the car is in park, there isnt much risk that I can see (I can't see any)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but... Don't confuse carbon monoxide (CO) with carbon dioxide (CO2). Both will kill you in high concentrations but it's CO that gets you first when talking about internal combustion engines or improperly vented home heating equipment.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think there definitely could be some issues with having the Volt run its engine in an enclosed garage for an extended people. Wasn't trying to say otherwise. Either GM has a really good reason for not fixing this already (possible) or its just corporate arrogance (also possible). When people talk about Volt issues, this is the one recurring issue that I think is serious enough for an official response or correction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think anyone has died from CO2 (carbon dioxide) and I highly doubt anyone has a CO2 detector in their home. Carbon monoxide (CO) is another matter entirely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the point is that the car won't charge when plugged in while it is "On." I think this is also a case where the default behavior (absent user intervention) should be to shut off and begin charging. Car is in park, no key present, i've just been plugged in. What are the odds that the intent is to NOT charge, but leave it "on" depleting the battery?
I think you are wrong. I went up town and parked at agree charging station across where Romney was to appear. 100 degrees and I left it running with air on comfort full blast for two hours and mine topped off the charge by the time we left.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Perhaps if you turned it off, plugged it in, then turned it on you would be correct, but it is well established and understood that a car that is "on" will not charge when plugged in. Go try it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This is very easy to do.
Set climate control to max ac
Turn car off.
Plug in car.
Recharge.
Connect Kill A watt when done.
Start car with AC max.
Leave car running with key in your pocket while plugged in.
Come back in 10 hours. See what Kill a watt records.
Turn off car. See what SOC charge is.
See what kill a watt records.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
In addition to the other car warning if you get out and leave the car on -
It seems to me there is another 4 beeps when you plug in the charger- and doesn't the charge light stay YELLOW ?

1 - 20 of 180 Posts