GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got great information from forum members on the polished aluminum rims, so I thought I'd ask about caring for the leather seats. My Volt (picking it up Friday, cannot WAIT!) has black leather seats and it will be my first car with this luxury. How can I keep them from cracking, like I've seen in 5 year old cars with leather seats?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Try Coach Leather/Conditioner or Griot's Garage Leather Cleaner. Both work extremely well. Go with whatever is less expensive. Other products may also work well but these two are the best I've found.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I thought I'd ask about caring for the leather seats. My Volt (picking it up Friday, cannot WAIT!) has black leather seats and it will be my first car with this luxury. How can I keep them from cracking, like I've seen in 5 year old cars with leather seats?
The owner's manual (which you can download yourself, you don't need a Volt to do it) has a lot to say about leather:

Leather, and lighter colored leather in particular, will need more frequent cleaning to prevent the buildup of dust, dirt, and colors transferred from other items so that these do not become permanent stains.

To remove dust, a soft cloth dampened with water can be used. If a more thorough cleaning is necessary, a soft cloth dampened with a mild soap solution can be used. Your dealer has a GM approved leather cleaner available that provides superior cleaning performance when used regularly on finished automotive leathers. Allow the leather to dry naturally. Do not use heat, steam, spot lifters or spot removers, or shoe polish on leather. Many commercial leather cleaners and coatings that are sold to preserve and protect leather may permanently change the appearance and feel of the leather and are not recommended.

Do not use silicone or wax-based products, or those containing organic solvents to clean the interior because they can alter the appearance by increasing the gloss in a non-uniform manner.
So mostly what *not* to do...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
there's no magic there. leather just gets old over time and gets those wrinkles. if you want them to stay looking good, the best advice is not to park the car in the sun all day.

lots of products claim to do wonders for leather like the products that claim to get rid of stretch marks (and never do). just keep them clean with the same methods you would use to clean skin (because that's what they are after all)

I got great information from forum members on the polished aluminum rims, so I thought I'd ask about caring for the leather seats. My Volt (picking it up Friday, cannot WAIT!) has black leather seats and it will be my first car with this luxury. How can I keep them from cracking, like I've seen in 5 year old cars with leather seats?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Tint your Volt. Use window shade in front window if it will be out in the sun a lot without a cover. Don't drive naked or shirtless getting oil on the seat. No kids :) Don't eat in Volt. You should be fine. Now, if you want to take it to another level, get the GM approved leather cleaner listed or DonC's suggestions.

I can tell you the leather in the last 4 leases we had looked the same as day one when we handed them over. Never cleaned them outside of normal carwash/detailing. Garaged when we could and had nice tint job. Most of the cracked you see are from sun damage and drying out of the leather when never cleaned. Dark leather is just going to show more and that is one of the reasons we always go light.

Paul (Cari's husband)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts