GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of horror stories about lease turn in. I have leased 8 vehicles in my life. I always turned the vehicle in below the miles due and several months before the lease end. All GM vehicles. I am a retired GM powertrain development engineer. I never had to pay an additional fee. When I turned in my Volt it was 6 months early because I wanted to but a 17 Premier, that's right not lease, I did not want to keep the 14 because I wanted safety 1 & 2. The 14 didn't even have a backup camera. It also had a lease buyout of around $24000. Including my GM discount I figure I got the 17 Premier with nav and safety 1 & 2 for about $28000, no brainer to me. I just received my final closeout letter from Ally. No additional fee. I checked on the 14 today by googling its VIN it is for sale in Indianapolis for $18000. If I could have bought it for that I would still take the 17 due to the additional features and electric miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's great to hear a positive lease turn-in story! Thank you! I'm nearing the turn-in on my LEAF and I'm sweating it. Well below the mileage, but I have some scrapes on the front bumper that I KNOW they're going to ding me for.

Jan

·
Registered
648 Posts
Maybe not. Nissan is very lenient on minor damage. I turned my Leaf in early, about 6 months. Had a persistent 12v vampire drain issue that would recur about every month. They gave me $500 credit for "pain and suffering." It never did get fixed. They found no chargeable damage. There were scratches in the hatch area from bicycles, all deemed normal. They actually allow one 2" dent in all body panels! I read the fine print. The crappy Bridgestone tires were wearing fast, but I got rid of it before they were illegal. The guy also came to my house to inspect it and made the determination on the spot and gave me the paperwork for proof. Not a bad experience at all. But the damn vampire drain sucked. It would run the battery stone dead in two days if not plugged in. I think it was caused by the power brake unit as I traced the drain to that area with a DC clamp meter. Showed it to to a Nissan service manager too. He admitted the problem, but couldn't find the cause. Good luck, hope you wind up in a nice Volt! Best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
The lease buyout at $24k was a total rip off. Even the current sale price at $18k is steep. You made the right choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts