GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
Extremely high odds those incentives will remain next month...Was reported there were 6K+ Volts sitting on the lots so it wouldn't make sense to abruptly stop the incentives...Also the Bolt is out (in certain states) and while some criticize its looks, front seats, cost or feature choices the driving experience get rave reviews so some would be Volt sales may buy a Bolt EV instead...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
That's all true but waiting is the wrong answer. It's the wrong answer even if your prediction comes true, which is what I'd predict as well.

The problem is you're trying to gain a couple of hundred bucks while potentially losing a few thousand. The worst that happens if you pull the trigger now is you end up with three extra Volt lease payments. That's a couple of hundred bucks a month. However, you may be able to offset that by getting a 10K lease rather than a 12K lease since for three months you won't use any miles.
That's a good point; I'll just add that the OP may want to brush up on car buying as there's more to haggling vs the incentives...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
I'm not suggesting the Op buy a used volt, just that buying something cheap while waiting for the right deal buys you patience. Being forced to get a car as a lease is ending puts you on a timeline that forces you to get something when it may not be the ideal time to do so. A corworker of mine was so torn when his 2012 lease was ending and 2016 models were not arriving yet. He wanted a gen2, but April of 2015 was not a good time to buy gen2s in IL. Other states got the love first. This will always be the case, I'm just offering a way to break the cycle with a temporary car purchase until the timing works out.
You have a point that you do have a timeline, however there are options...Lease extensions have extremely high odds of being approved, there's also pull ahead option and you could always buy it out...But let's compare to purchasing, whatever the sales price your friend lease for would apply to purchase, say a sales price of $30K? Three years later the thing would probably get $15K when he tries to sell it so they could buy the Gen2 they wanted...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
My friend wanted a gen2 at the end of his gen1 lease. He ended up settling for a used gen 1 and is now "stuck" and resigned to driving it into the ground because he was planning to buy and hold his next volt anyway. He would have preferred getting a gen2 at the time, but GM's release schedule didn't coincide with his timeline. He does not want to get burned yet again trading in cars every few years.
Being "stuck" is his choice..."Wanting" a newer Gen2 is his choice...Many here have reported getting a great lease price on a Gen1, upon turn in the buyout was significantly higher than resale value so they made the choice to turn it in and buy an used Gen1 at rock bottom prices...Also often renting a car away from an airport for a couple of months is be surprisingly affordable...There are affordable alternatives to being stuck...
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top