GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the forum subtitle includes hacks....check this out:

This story:
http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1055714_video-hack-of-2011-nissan-leaf-provides-faster-charging-but-is-it-safe
let me to this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707&hilit=EVSE+hack
The Nissan Leaf ships with an 120V 12A portable EVSE for "on the go" charging. I just completed designing and testing an upgrade to it that allows 240V charging while still retaining the 120V capability. This means you can use the supplied EVSE at home without needing to install an (expensive) additional unit and still have a reasonable charge rate. (over 2.8kW) The full safety features including the GFCI protection are still 100% functional, and the unit automatically switches voltage.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
According to the article, the 240 V conversion should work, and cause no damage to the EV. But how many 240 VAC outlets are available, in comparison to the common 120 VAC outlets? I see some EV owners who visit friends and relatives asking where is the clothes dryer or water heater so they can use that outlet (with a converted plug) to charge their vehicles at 240 VAC. Maybe some businesses that have external 240 VAC outlets for special power equipment (or electric welders) can provide charging for a small cost. Personally I have not seen any public 240 VAC outlets in my area. But my worksite has plenty of 240 VAC power in our Computer Room (on the fifth floor), so I will need a very long cable!

Raymond

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since the installation cost, via SPX, is a minimum of $900 just to get wires run from the 240 charger to an existing 240 outlet/box, it would be nice to have the ability to switch between 120 & 240 on the portable charger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just read the entire 20-page post. Hopefully they will offer upgrades to the Volt EVSE as well. If not, I might have to buy the Nissan unit.

No 240V where you are going? No problem....two 120V outlets and an extension cord and you're set. http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered one of these upgraded Nissan units a few weeks back. I should receive mine late this week or early next. I'll report back on my results. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was told by someone familar with the pre-production Voltec charger that the pc board in the 120 and 220 EVSE's were the same. I don't know if this holds for the production charger or not. The current is the same, so you need to make sure that it can handle 220 vac.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
"One must wonder if that would work with the Volt supplied EVSE.."

I asked and the designer is looking into it, perhaps its practical to convert.. everyone has a 240V socket somewhere in their homes, and if you dont an electrician can add one for not too much... btw Rusty, I prefer using the acronym FEC (Fancy Extension Cord) instead of EVSE, it really answers a lot of questions by just using that simple acronym :)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
No 240V where you are going? No problem....two 120V outlets and an extension cord and you're set. http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm
In order for this to work the kit includes a device to check the 2 110v outlets before plugging in. It says it will check for no GFI. I also assume it will check to make sure that the 2 outlets are out of phase so the peak to peak V is 220. So it may take awhile to find an outlet that is out of phase since chances are the one right next is "in phase".......thats probably what the extension cord is for.

Also most newer houses have most power plugs on GFI's esp in shop/garage areas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
so as volt owners are we able to buy the nissan one and use it with our car or do we need to wait for the volt one to come out?

thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
so as volt owners are we able to buy the nissan one and use it with our car or do we need to wait for the volt one to come out?
You can absolutely use the LEAF EVSE on a Volt. That's one of the awesome things about having the J1772 standard.

I've found that Nissan dealerships are not requiring VIN to order an EVSE from them and prices seem to be just over $500.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Also most newer houses have most power plugs on GFI's esp in shop/garage areas.
As long as the wire is there already its not too hard to switch the breaker with a non-GFI one. I think you would need two extension cords since you have to find two sockets?.. hopefully of a decent #12 gage

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's the pertinent info:

The problem is not the -12v. The Nissan/Panasonic L1 EVSE delays putting out power once the Pilot is acknowledged until it performs an internal self test. This test takes approximately 3 seconds and you can normally hear the clicking of the relays while this test is underway. The problem is the Volt seems to "give up" right before the EVSE completes it's test and recycles the Pilot, which starts the test all over again. This continues in an endless loop and the Volt never starts charging.

The proper fix would be to correct this in the Volt's software, because the EVSE is technically allowed to delay. This is not limited to the Nissan/Panasonic unit, several EVSE's on the market also delay.

I might be able to implement a work-around inside the EVSE to make it compatible with the Volt. Testing is underway currently, I'll let everyone know the outcome.

-Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,

Yes, it's confirmed that the Leaf EVSE will not properly start on a Volt. I have come up with a potential fix and sent a unit out to VoltCrazy for testing. If the test is successful, then I can apply this fix to future EVSE upgrades that are ordered for the Volt, and you will then have a low-cost 120v/240v charging option.

We will soon be investigating the Volt EVSE also to see if it has upgrade potential as well. I'll let everyone know here once this analysis is complete if we can offer upgrades for them.

Thanks!

-Phil

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
We will soon be investigating the Volt EVSE also to see if it has upgrade potential as well.
I spoke with an engineer Monday apparently from the design firm that designed the Volt 120V EVSE. He said the latest versions of the cord are designed to support Ampera charging, and can adapt to 80-240V operation. But he was kinda cagey about it (later said 200V or something).

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke with an engineer Monday apparently from the design firm that designed the Volt 120V EVSE. He said the latest versions of the cord are designed to support Ampera charging, and can adapt to 80-240V operation. But he was kinda cagey about it (later said 200V or something).
I've seen an SPX 240v portable charger in person recently. Not sure when it was available.

Looked like this one: http://servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1

·
Registered
317 Posts
Scott,
I'd love to mount this SPX unit on the side of my house - under a small awning.
This looks like a functional, no nonsense unit - perfect!
Now...let's get one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good news! We have figured out how to make the Nissan (Panasonic) EVSE compatible with the Chevy Volt. This requires an additional upgrade be added, which we can do for a $50 additional charge do to the difficulty of adding it. This addition will not affect compatibility with the Leaf. The EVSE then works as expected.

We have also successfully upgraded a Voltec unit, but it was difficult due to the ultrasonic welding used for the unit's housing assembly. (no screws) Because of this we are not offering a Voltec upgrade at this time. (This may change, however)

-Phil

UPDATE: We have come up with a less difficult way to implement the Volt upgrade, so we will be doing it for only an additional $10 rather than $50.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts