GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
So... an updated software management system around April. In the meantime, don't charge to 100%, use Hilltop reserve.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So, the software monitoring gizmo is just a stopgap measure. GM should foot the bill and replace the batteries, like Hyundai is doing.

I was seriously considering upgrading to a Bolt, but it looks more and more like it's going to be a Tesla.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No question I'm getting concerned on the battery issue that requires only 90% charging. I've defended and advanced GM's program in many ways but I assumed some guidance would be sent out on what was going on and when a solution would likely be ready and what it entailed. I started with the Volt and bought a Bolt as soon as I could get my hands on one due to my confidence in GM's engineering of EVs and batteries. The real problem is there is NO DOUBT in my mind that I take an extra value hit due to an unresolved recall when I want to trade or sell, and unfortunately the Bolt takes a pretty hard hit from 'depreciation' anyway. The depreciation seems unjustified but it is what it is. So now I'm realizing I'm not in a good position. If ALL the Bolts had the problem then for sure there'd be a scramble to get it taken care off. When only a 'few' are affected then there may not be much concern. I believe in GM's electric program and pushed it hard but, why should I take the hit just because I'm 'one of the faithful'? Am I going to take a hit?

I'd gladly take a battery exchange with no problem whatsoever. And it would be minor for GM. But if there's just dead silence I guarantee GM will not want my blowback.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Pioneers take the arrows.

3,607 Posts
No question I'm getting concerned on the battery issue that requires only 90% charging. I've defended and advanced GM's program in many ways but I assumed some guidance would be sent out on what was going on and when a solution would likely be ready and what it entailed. I started with the Volt and bought a Bolt as soon as I could get my hands on one due to my confidence in GM's engineering of EVs and batteries. The real problem is there is NO DOUBT in my mind that I take an extra value hit due to an unresolved recall when I want to trade or sell, and unfortunately the Bolt takes a pretty hard hit from 'depreciation' anyway. The depreciation seems unjustified but it is what it is. So now I'm realizing I'm not in a good position. If ALL the Bolts had the problem then for sure there'd be a scramble to get it taken care off. When only a 'few' are affected then there may not be much concern. I believe in GM's electric program and pushed it hard but, why should I take the hit just because I'm 'one of the faithful'? Am I going to take a hit?

I'd gladly take a battery exchange with no problem whatsoever. And it would be minor for GM. But if there's just dead silence I guarantee GM will not want my blowback.
Hi Palouser,

We understand where you're coming from. A team of GM engineers has made substantial progress in identifying the root cause and potential remedies for this issue. They are in the process of validating state-of-the-art software that can diagnose potential issues early and restore 100% charge capability. A final remedy for this recall is anticipated this month. As soon as our solution is available, we will announce it on the www.chevy.com/boltevrecall website. You will be mailed a letter with instructions to visit a Chevrolet EV dealer to have them perform the final remedy.

Dani B.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Palouser,

We understand where you're coming from. A team of GM engineers has made substantial progress in identifying the root cause and potential remedies for this issue. They are in the process of validating state-of-the-art software that can diagnose potential issues early and restore 100% charge capability. A final remedy for this recall is anticipated this month. As soon as our solution is available, we will announce it on the www.chevy.com/boltevrecall website. You will be mailed a letter with instructions to visit a Chevrolet EV dealer to have them perform the final remedy.

Dani B.
I thank you for your response and accept that you are on the case as I hoped. I can cool my heels and wait. It has been my experience that GM has been true to their mission on EVs and the battery development of the Ultium1 and pending Ultium2 is a huge leap. Batteries are the core of success in EVs. I just didn't want to get left behind.

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
If you have a 2017 or 2018 model-year Bolt EV:
• Change the vehicle charge settings to use the Hill Top Reserve option

If you have a 2019 model-year Bolt EV:
• Change the vehicle charge settings to enable Target Charge Level at 90%
I have been using the Hilltop Reserve setting since almost day one with our 2017 Bolt EV because I wanted to simulate babying the battery like the Volt does. Turns out, using that to limit the charge to 90% max had other benefits :)

My understanding is the battery separators GM uses is different than Hyundai and Kia who also use LG Chem batteries. Apparently the separator material is key in coming up with a software fix rather than requiring a battery replacement. Is GM's separator more robust? IDK, but it may end up saving GM millions in battery replacement costs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hope they can get it figured out. My now limited range is not cutting it. was down to the last bar in 120 miles last week. Almost was stranded on a trip I thought wouldn’t be an issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hope they can get it figured out. My now limited range is not cutting it. was down to the last bar in 120 miles last week. Almost was stranded on a trip I thought wouldn’t be an issue.
Yikes! Cold and snow tires at 75 mph???

I finally took my snow tires off, though the few warm days had really improved the range. Made a HUGE difference today when it actually was maybe over 70*.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yikes! Cold and snow tires at 75 mph???

I finally took my snow tires off, though the few warm days had really improved the range. Made a HUGE difference today when it actually was maybe over 70*.
stock tires, 37 deg, 70 mph. Had a head wind one way. 2m/kwh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
stock tires, 37 deg, 70 mph. Had a head wind one way. 2m/kwh.
Seems like excessive draw to me and I drive hilly terrain. A gradual but even climb can take more than one would think. That and heat management. I don't often go 70 because of the terrain. I only get that low on range under the worst conditions conditions of snow, mud and cold with hills. But I'm not going 70.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems like excessive draw to me and I drive hilly terrain. A gradual but even climb can take more than one would think. That and heat management. I don't often go 70 because of the terrain. I only get that low on range under the worst conditions conditions of snow, mud and cold with hills. But I'm not going 70.

Head wind does make a difference. Resistance would be 70 mph + headwind. If it was 15 mph then it would be = 90 mph speed equivalent. Resistance increases by the square. Resistance between 45 mph - 90 mph would be 4 times greater. Plus cabin heating (on recirculate or fresh air). And low temp. Seems like there MAY be another factor. But if miles/kwh return to normal with better conditions then I wouldn't worry.

I have strategies for heat but not for anything else but tire pressures.

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
Drive at 60 mph.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Drive at 60 mph.
Going 60 doesn't work on 70 to 80 mph freeways. The speed differential gets too high and some don't judge that differential very well. Plus you get semis passing you as well and then there are some really dumb and dangerous moves. It's not worth it. Waste the electrons and stay alive. I prefer 55-65 in my area but I'm not on freeways where there can be a lot of unpredictable drivers.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Going 60 doesn't work on 70 to 80 mph freeways. The speed differential gets too high and some don't judge that differential very well. Plus you get semis passing you as well and then there are some really dumb and dangerous moves. It's not worth it. Waste the electrons and stay alive. I prefer 55-65 in my area but I'm not on freeways where there can be a lot of unpredictable drivers.
I don't think I've seen any research that bears that out. I've seen a lot about speed differences affecting the SEVERITY of collisions, but the number of steady-speed collisions is awash and lost in the incidence of collisions due to sudden braking, and in those cases, starting from 60 MPH instead of 70 is helpful not hurtful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't think I've seen any research that bears that out. I've seen a lot about speed differences affecting the SEVERITY of collisions, but the number of steady-speed collisions is awash and lost in the incidence of collisions due to sudden braking, and in those cases, starting from 60 MPH instead of 70 is helpful not hurtful.
What I can tell you is what I observe on freeways in the West driving a slide in camper on a pickup much of the year. And I've done it for years. I get very good mileage @ 60 mph. Some cars go the speed limit + 5. On an 80 mph freeway that's 25 mph difference. Now mix in the many trucks. Some fleet trucks are limited to 65 mph. Owner operator trucks can go 75 o more. Most of thise roads are only two lane in the direction and some not that wide of lanes. Now you have trucks passing at various speeds and the slower ones don't want to give an inch to keep going. Now add in autos that see whats happening ahead and want to keep their speed up and trying to weave through the 'holes'. At 60 mph you are creating complexity out there. NOW, think about the mountains and curvy areas where you can't see around the corners. It gets a LOT more crazy as some trucks are loaded and really slow creating even more differential. Others empty. You cannot tell what a given auto driver might do as tyhey approach from behind and you're busy trying to negotiate too! I've seen some crazy stuff! I adapt to help make it all smoother and safer for me and others as I have plenty of power.

I don't care about nonexistent studies. I know what's out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts