GM Volt Forum banner

Last Bolt EV smuggled out of the People's Republic of South California?

7284 Views 49 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  ampera_jed
I believe I'm the owner of the very last Bolt to make it past the California export embargo. It's a Silver Premier that I purchased from Rydell two weeks ago while it was still in transit. It's been sitting on their lot for the last week waiting for a shipper who's daring enough to brave all the winter storms we've been having and deliver it to Salt Lake City. I just got word that it's finally being loaded up on a truck today and should be here by Friday.

So I think I'm the last person to get one out of California and maybe the first to get one here in Utah. Does anyone know anything otherwise?
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Need to get certified before you can sell/service them?
If there are dealers within 50 miles, why 'smuggle' one across borders, sorry I am not following this?
Because when I reserved my CA Bolt, no one had any clue when they would be released in my state.
If there are dealers within 50 miles, why 'smuggle' one across borders, sorry I am not following this?
GM is initially selling Bolt EVs only in California and then planning on slowly rolling them out to the rest of the country over the course of the next 9 months. A handful of people who don't live in California were able to buy a Bolt over the phone from a California dealer and have them delivered to them in another state before GM told the California dealers that they were not allowed to sale to out of state buyers. There were at least 4 of us who were lucky enough to get a Bolt from outside of California before out of state sales were stopped. We're jokingly calling ourselves the "Bolt Smugglers" and created a group on voltstats.net.

http://www.voltstats.net/BoltEV/Stats/GroupDetails/294
For those of us in Utah, according to GMs release schedule we won't get the Bolt here until September at the earliest. If it was available earlier, I would most likely be getting one. But it won't, so I won't be getting one.
Yeah, I guess what I was asking was why a dealer would set up to service a car, but then not actually sell it? Not sure I understand that.
Sometimes sales doesn't communicate well with service.
I believe I'm the owner of the very last Bolt to make it past the California export embargo.....
I wouldn't be bragging about this until the car is in your possession. GM can quickly stop sale that car and come down on Rydell.
Man!... This sounds sooo like 1970's Communist Poland :)
Where is this country heading, i ask!
Man!... This sounds sooo like 1970's Communist Poland :)
Where is this country heading, i ask!
Insert blame (Trump/Obama) joke here. ;)

And on a side note, I was browsing plug share for CCS chargers in my area and someone named Allen with a Utah phone number checked in with a Bolt EV at the Lehi EVgo station on Januaray 16th. So it looks like my Bolt is not the first one in Utah. I'd be interesting in hearing about Allen's experience if he's out there anywhere.
Yeah, I guess what I was asking was why a dealer would set up to service a car, but then not actually sell it? Not sure I understand that.
The dealers in states not named California or Oregon are preparing for when they CAN sell Bolts.
GM is not shipping Bolts to those dealers yet but will by the end of the year.
It takes time to get technicians trained and service equipment ready.
The dealers in states not named California or Oregon are preparing for when they CAN sell Bolts.
GM is not shipping Bolts to those dealers yet but will by the end of the year.
It takes time to get technicians trained and service equipment ready.
OK, makes sense you put in the training before getting the cars. I guess they anticipated a faster roll-out.

Shame no-one in UK has been trained likewise. They are selling the Bolt here now in the EU (as 'Ampera-E'), it even got its NEDC rating just a day or two ago, over 500km. But only LHD. I'd be quite interested in one here in the UK if they offered it in LHD, but for some reason Vauxhall must think its drivers are too unskilled to consider selling them an LHD on RHD roads.

Even if there was just one authorised service centre I might consider one (if it was within a few 100 miles). Just somewhere to take it!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.