GM Volt Forum banner

Last Bolt EV smuggled out of the People's Republic of South California?

7278 Views 49 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  ampera_jed
I believe I'm the owner of the very last Bolt to make it past the California export embargo. It's a Silver Premier that I purchased from Rydell two weeks ago while it was still in transit. It's been sitting on their lot for the last week waiting for a shipper who's daring enough to brave all the winter storms we've been having and deliver it to Salt Lake City. I just got word that it's finally being loaded up on a truck today and should be here by Friday.

So I think I'm the last person to get one out of California and maybe the first to get one here in Utah. Does anyone know anything otherwise?
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
What the heck! You already passed me! That was quick.
I told ya I was up by your place today... 222 miles today, almost 200 the day before... tomorrow easy day, maybe 140 or so.
What the heck! You already passed me! That was quick.
I told ya I was up by your place today... 222 miles today, almost 200 the day before... tomorrow easy day, maybe 140 or so.
Hit any DCFC sites?
Hit any DCFC sites?
Not until this weekend, will go exploring a bit - with today's drive of 222 miles the miles remaining was still at 80, and that was with morning commute in the upper 30s so I am anxious to see things under ideal conditions when Spring comes around
Not until this weekend, will go exploring a bit - with today's drive of 222 miles the miles remaining was still at 80, and that was with morning commute in the upper 30s so I am anxious to see things under ideal conditions when Spring comes around
I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to put up some phenomal numbers like that. I remember on the G2 vot you had achieved around 80 miles over the EPA 53. If figured going over 300 miles with the Bolt would be something you'd be reporting sooner then later. You'll have to snap a pic of your screen and share it was us here on the forum.

Waiting for my Bolt til the end of the year will be an exercise of my patience this year. Congrats to you smuglglers. ;)
Did they really stop allowing exports from CA? Was there a press release or something?
"The Bolt Smugglers" group has been created on Boltstats! Join up guys! Only condition is you can't be a CA/OR resident. :p
So I just looked at BoltStats and saw a Bolt on there already having 16,000 miles in Michigan?! Yikes! Although i'm sure that this is an early test fleet car, it's cool to see that many miles on it.

http://www.voltstats.net/BoltEV/Stats/Details/9087
Did they really stop allowing exports from CA? Was there a press release or something?
Bro1999 and I had the same sales rep at Rydell, and cfspeakman also bought from them but with a different sales rep. All 3 of us were told that GM said they couldn't sell out of state anymore, and I have to think that is accurate as in my case they made a price profit and holdback for having a car on their property for about 18 hours (and sounds like the car purchased by the OP in Utah on this thread had about the same duration) -- so I don't know how the word was passed to the dealer but the message appears to have been given.
Damn it, I am back in last place.

I am encouraged to see The Bolt Smugglers outnumber the Oregon Bolt owners 3-0. Guess OR folk don't care about this Voltstat stuff. :p
Bro1999 and I had the same sales rep at Rydell, and cfspeakman also bought from them but with a different sales rep. All 3 of us were told that GM said they couldn't sell out of state anymore, and I have to think that is accurate as in my case they made a price profit and holdback for having a car on their property for about 18 hours (and sounds like the car purchased by the OP in Utah on this thread had about the same duration) -- so I don't know how the word was passed to the dealer but the message appears to have been given.
I read posts from bro1999 and cfspeakman and decided to try my luck at Rydell, for shipping to Georgia. I was about to get the deal but the rep emailed me at the last minute and said that GM put the brakes on out-of-state sales.
He said something about losing some type of credits was the reason.

Anyway, now a Maryland dealership says that they have an Arctic blue Premier coming in just like I want. He says that he asked GM and that he can sell to me out-of-state???
Anyway, now a Maryland dealership says that they have an Arctic blue Premier coming in just like I want. He says that he asked GM and that he can sell to me out-of-state???
Sounds good, which dealer?
what do you guys do for parts and servicing, out of state?
what do you guys do for parts and servicing, out of state?
I go to one of the 20 Bolt certified dealers within 50 miles of me.
I read posts from bro1999 and cfspeakman and decided to try my luck at Rydell, for shipping to Georgia. I was about to get the deal but the rep emailed me at the last minute and said that GM put the brakes on out-of-state sales.
He said something about losing some type of credits was the reason.

The reason most EV rollouts start in California (and some never go much further) is CARB credits. Basically, CARB rules force manufacturers to sell a certain number of zero emission vehicles in California based on the number of gas cars they sell - and charge a $5k penalty for every credit missed. A long range EV like the Bolt is probably worth five credits or more per sale.

So until GM has sold enough in California to balance their ICE sales, each one they sell there is saving them $20k+ in potential penalties, or at least some lesser amount paid to someone like Tesla for their CARB credits - and once GM meets their commitments, they may be able to make some money selling credits to Toyota and FCA...
Wow! How much of that was freeway vs surface streets? Seems like 300 will be quite doable when it warms up a bit.
So ... there are certified dealers who don't sell them??
It's finally here and I couldn't be happier. :) The only problem is that it's not registered and the DMV isn't open on Saturdays. But bolt smugglers have no regard fer th' law 'n don't concern ourselves thin's such as these.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Sport utility vehicle

Vehicle Transport Automotive tire Mode of transport Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Hatchback
See less See more
Congrats. Glad it arrived ok.

So do smugglers drive to the DMV in their smuggled Bolt? :p

Looking forward to your review of your new ride.
So ... there are certified dealers who don't sell them??
Need to get certified before you can sell/service them?
Need to get certified before you can sell/service them?
If there are dealers within 50 miles, why 'smuggle' one across borders, sorry I am not following this?
If there are dealers within 50 miles, why 'smuggle' one across borders, sorry I am not following this?
Funny that some dealerships can service them like Jim Ellis in Atl, but they can't sell them until July in Georgia, except for the 15 that are coming in March. Those were reserved/allocated to them supposedly.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.