GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my Goodyear Assurance tires with Hankook Kinergy ST tires.

The tire size specified for 2016 Volt is 215/50/17r, but they installed 215/60/17r. I understand that the 60's will have the speedometer off by about 4 mph at 60 mph, which I can contend with. But how will it affect the mileage in gas and EV?

The other claim is that higher tires give a smoother ride.

I am figuring that without a recalibration of the speedometer that the odometer would probably be incorrect also.

I already took the car back because they installed non-low rolling resistant tires on the vehicle (Uniroyal - which is not what I requested to be installed).

I hate to have them change the tires again.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I replaced my Goodyear Assurance tires with Hankook Kinergy ST tires.

The tire size specified for 2016 Volt is 215/50/17r, but they installed 215/60/17r. I understand that the 60's will have the speedometer off by about 4 mph at 60 mph, which I can contend with. But how will it affect the mileage in gas and EV?
May improve either, but at the expense of less give'r from the same throttle.

The other claim is that higher tires give a smoother ride.
Generally true. They're an inch taller, so the same bumps flex the sidewall less, which means less energy passed into the hub.

I am figuring that without a recalibration of the speedometer that the odometer would probably be incorrect also.
Yup.

I already took the car back because they installed non-low rolling resistant tires on the vehicle (Uniroyal - which is not what I requested to be installed).

I hate to have them change the tires again.
Why? They're the ones not following simple directions, right? "I want 215/50/17R low rolling resistance tires" is neither an unusual specification nor one that a dealer should be unused to fulfilling. It's kind of right in their line of business, even. That they're screwing this up is suggesting a level of incompetence that borders on either negligent or larcenous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like the dealer had a few tire installations that day and accidentally put the wrong tires on your wheels. Call the dealer and tell them they made a mistake and they need to get the tires swapped for the proper ones you wanted. They should do this at their expense since they were the ones that screwed up.

No reason to get mad. Accidents happen. They just need to be accountable and take care of fixing the problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the dealer had a few tire installations that day and accidentally put the wrong tires on your wheels. Call the dealer and tell them they made a mistake and they need to get the tires swapped for the proper ones you wanted. They should do this at their expense since they were the ones that screwed up.

No reason to get mad. Accidents happen. They just need to be accountable and take care of fixing the problem.
This is the second set of tires that they installed that were incorrect. I have contacted the service manager and requested that the proper size tires be installed. Turning the wheel to the left or right does appear to cause the tires to rub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts