GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much power the Lane Keep Assist safety feature uses? I am wondering if I should turn this off when I am trying to "game" the best milage I can.

Another thing I can turn off when I am not using it is cruse control. Any worth there?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dunno about the LKA, but I can't imagine it uses much energy. And why would you have the cruise control on if you're not using it?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My energy readout doesn't change if Lane Keep Assist is on or off. Ditto for ACC. You can check this, can't you? (I don't have exactly how this works on the MY 2017). That may be not granular enough for you but I agree it shouldn't effect your range.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Does anyone know how much power the Lane Keep Assist safety feature uses? I am wondering if I should turn this off when I am trying to "game" the best milage I can.

Another thing I can turn off when I am not using it is cruse control. Any worth there?
I can't imagine it would affect your range in any meaningful way but I don't have hard data to back up my assumption.

Hey, you paid $1k for those features, you might well use them to keep you and your family safe. My LKA has saved my butt a few times when I thought I was paying attention but obviously I wasn't when the LKA kicked in and helped me keep in my lane. And don't turn off your blind spot alerts either because it is also very helpful in keeping you from getting in an accident, not that you mentioned that but you might consider it based on your question above.

Just enjoy the car and try not to be the guy going 50 on the freeway that is going 65+ in search of a few extra miles. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't imagine it would use much, but I was curious if anyone had any info on it.

I usually keep LKA on, unless I am driving on roads that aren't lined. Unfortunately, that is about half of the roads on my commute :p

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
My totally unfounded and unresearched guess is LKA's computational functions are handled using an additional computer in a completely separate system. If I remember correctly, the GM system is built on ARM architecture and is camera-based (No radar). Therefore, I'd guess the CPU might consume 60 watts max. The steering would likely be connected to the electric steering (steer-by-wire system) already in use so no additional power needed beyond the typical driver inputs of staying on the road.

No idea if turning LKA off actually powers the unit down, of just ignores the inputs? I'd guess the latter. If so, no savings beyond a few microamps. If it does power down, then it might give you several additional yards of range... maybe.

Regular cruise control is likely connected to the electronic throttle so short of a few CPU cycles, I expect nothing. ACC would be connected to the same LKA hardware module with the same caveats as before. If radar of lasers are in use, then I suspect that would pull out several hundred yards...

Of course, a human intensely focused and skilled at hypermileing will be better able to achieve gains from anticipating stops and acceleration. Generous use of Neutral for coasting, slow regen when absolutely necessary, staying as close to 24 MPH as possible, and skillful feathering the throttle would grant you far better results. Not what I want to do for a hobby, but that's my best guess.

tl;dr: A few yards, if any at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"...ARM architecture..." or in other words flea-power. How hot does a phone become? How far would a phone battery drive the car? The impact is in that neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
"...ARM architecture..." or in other words flea-power. How hot does a phone become? How far would a phone battery drive the car? The impact is in that neighborhood.
Exactly. The range impact of charging a cell phone while driving may be greater then the LKA system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts