GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in SoCal the offer is 131/mo for the lower end Volt w/o any bells and whistles. What is the 'drive off' and is it a good deal (10,000miles) The disclaimer says:

Description: Enjoy this great lease on a brand new Chevrolet Volt!
Disclosure: 36 Month closed end lease. On approved credit. $3,390 Consumer Cash + $7,360 Factory rebate = $10,750 total due at signing. Total due at signing includes sales tax, license, dealer, bank and government fees and first months payment. $0 security deposit. 25 cents per mile over 10,000 miles per year. See dealer for details. All in stock with MSRP of $34,095.

·
Registered
718 Posts
First question is will you drive more than 10k miles a year. Because if you drive 12k miles that will be an extra $1500 or $42 a month.

The $3,390 cash represent $94 a month over 36 month.

So if you drive 12k miles, the actual monthly payment would equal $267 a month with zero down. That is also likely without tax so with tax, you are looking at about $290 depending where you are.

It still looks a little low, so I would double check that there are no hidden fees and cost on top of that.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
The other catch is "on approved credit." If you don't qualify, then the deal gets more expensive. Try it and cross your fingers that you qualify. And also watch out for add ons like scotch guard, undercoating, paint sealant, and other dealer add ons.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Could be a 2016 MY? Anyway, if you're leasing this won't make much difference. Good strategy actually. Without knowing more it sounds like a good deal. "Drive off" usually means how much you have to pay in order to drive the vehicle off the lot. It's hard to know from what is here. I'd think consumer cash is what you have to pay; factory rebate is likely not a factory rebate, more like a tax credit and a discount. To be honest you need a few more numbers, like residual and lease cash, to understand the deal.

First question is will you drive more than 10k miles a year. Because if you drive 12k miles that will be an extra $1500 or $42 a month.

The $3,390 cash represent $94 a month over 36 month.

So if you drive 12k miles, the actual monthly payment would equal $267 a month with zero down. That is also likely without tax so with tax, you are looking at about $290 depending where you are.

It still looks a little low, so I would double check that there are no hidden fees and cost on top of that.
Nice recap and good advice, but on the 12K a year the OP could likely do it for less simply by subtracting a point from the residual. Much likely a lot less than $42/month. More like $15 or less.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Could be a 2016 MY? Anyway, if you're leasing this won't make much difference. Good strategy actually. Without knowing more it sounds like a good deal. "Drive off" usually means how much you have to pay in order to drive the vehicle off the lot. It's hard to know from what is here. I'd think consumer cash is what you have to pay; factory rebate is likely not a factory rebate, more like a tax credit and a discount. To be honest you need a few more numbers, like residual and lease cash, to understand the deal.

Nice recap and good advice, but on the 12K a year the OP could likely do it for less simply by subtracting a point from the residual. Much likely a lot less than $42/month. More like $15 or less.
What do you mean subtracting a point from the residual? I thought it was 25cents per mile

·
Registered
718 Posts
What do you mean subtracting a point from the residual? I thought it was 25cents per mile
I think he meant that a lease structured for 12000 miles per year would likely be cheaper than a lease structured for 10k miles in which you end up driving 12k.
My remark was indeed for the later as we have no information regarding the same deal being available with 12k miles / yesr.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My remark was indeed for the later as we have no information regarding the same deal being available with 12k miles / yesr.
I believe the difference between a 10K mile and a 12k mile lease is one point on the residual. Assuming you need them, it's always cheaper to get the miles up front.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Got to post the actual deal as many are shams...A common tactic is for a dealer to offer one PURE base and advertise its stock number...When you arrive, the pure base is gone, all other non-pure bases have unwanted dealer add ons such as a second charger cord or even a $300 VIN etching job...

High odds it'll be huge down, payment and not include fees or taxes...

·
Registered
435 Posts
This deal is totally legit. I contacted the dealer myself. If you want 12000 miles/year, the monthly payment will be $159. No games, those are the numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess what I am really wondering is the disclaimer says Total due at signing includes sales tax, license, dealer, bank and government fees and first months payment. Are those fees the $3300 Customer Cash mentioned or are they in addition to that money. Anyone able to parse this out and get to the real meaning??

·
Registered
9 Posts
picked up my 2017 base model about six weeks ago. $3000 down, 36K miles. 155.00 a month, including tax and license. Thought I got a great deal.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I guess what I am really wondering is the disclaimer says Total due at signing includes sales tax, license, dealer, bank and government fees and first months payment. Are those fees the $3300 Customer Cash mentioned or are they in addition to that money. Anyone able to parse this out and get to the real meaning??
Like includes none of that stuff except maybe the first month's payment....which should be waived in CARB states anyways.

Converted $0 down monthly is $225/month before taxes/fees.....not bad, but nothing earth shattering either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why would you be asking this forum about the details of this add? Just call the dealer and ask for a quote for the total drive offs and the monthly payment with taxes. If they cannot commit over the phone, then you know it's not a competitive deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts