GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is link to a Los Angeles Times article from July 21, 2012 and here is some selected text:

"But sales of plug-in hybrids — vehicles that can travel some miles on battery power before a traditional gasoline engine kicks in — are soaring.

"Thanks to a resurgent Chevrolet Volt and Toyota's introduction of a plug-in version of its popular Prius, sales of such vehicles have jumped 381% to more than 13,000 in the first half of this year, according to Edmunds.com.

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...mostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice article. Nothing new for anyone on this forum, but any positive articles about EVs can only help to better inform the general public. As an owner of a 2008 Prius and 2012 Volt, I really don't see much benefit to the plug-in Prius, but I guess any EVs being sold is an overall good thing.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

Plug-in hybrid sales soar
My gosh, as Benjamin Disraeli said (Or Mark Twain said, who was a "red blooded American), "There are lies, damn lies and statistics".

If Volt sales when from 1 to 2, the LA Times headline might be, "Volt sales doubled"? A true statement. :p
Keep drinking the kool aid!

Comment:
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

·
Administrator
20,460 Posts
If Volt sales when from 1 to 2, the LA Times headline might be, "Volt sales doubled"? A true statement. :p
Keep drinking the kool aid!
Bad day today? I think your displeasure may have been warranted had they only gave the percentage increase, but they gave the actual numbers sold as well. The reader can make an informed judgement based on the numbers.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
thank you for caring enough to ask.

Bad day today? I think your displeasure may have been warranted had they only gave the percentage increase, but they gave the actual numbers sold as well. The reader can make an informed judgement based on the numbers.
Not at all. But thank you for caring enough to ask. :) I may have misjudged you. Unless of course you are being sarcastic? Nope, that would never happen.

Comment:

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt".

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been reding your posts & holding my tongue until now but PLEASE! Almost every time you post here it's negative sarcastic trolling. Do you think no one notices???

Not at all. But thank you for caring enough to ask. :) I may have misjudged you. Unless of course you are being sarcastic? Nope, that would never happen.

Comment:

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt".

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You are the best!

I've been reding your posts & holding my tongue until now but PLEASE! Almost every time you post here it's negative sarcastic trolling. Do you think no one notices???
Really? Every time? No exceptions? I never ever post anything positive? Never? Ever? In this entire forum, not just in a couple of threads, but the entire GM-VOLT forum? I hardly ever post anything positive? Wow, I will take a look at my behavior and promise to do better. I hope you don't hesitate to help me whenever you feel I might need your help. I was completely unaware. With your help, I know I can do it!

I hope this reply is the first of many that reflect my effort to change. You are the best!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
you don't really care

Wait a minute? I just realized that you don't really care about me as a person. You just publicly posted in this thread that I am a troll! I just looked up the word troll and you just publicly insulted me. I take back my comment that you are the best, You are not trying to help, you are being a troll yourself by publicly slamming me in this thread! That hurts. You are trying to pick a fight with me, aren't you? That is just wrong to criticize me for something you are doing. You never meant to help me. You really don't care.

If you had really cared, I mean really cared about helping me change for the better, you would have taken your comments off-line and sent me a PM. But you don't care. All you wanted to do was hurt my feelings. Well you did hurt my feelings. Do you feel better now?

That is just terrible. You had me fooled into thinking you cared. You don't care. You are being an internet troll! There, how does it feel to be called a troll? Hurts, doesn't it? I am sorry I am not perfect, but you did not need to call me a troll. That is just mean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My apologies. Maybe I've only noticed the really snarky ones like these? Glad to be of assistance.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Please accept my public apology

I am sorry. I stooped to your level by calling you a troll. I am sorry. I am better than that. Calling you a troll, no matter how hurt I was by you calling me a troll, was just not right. Please accept my public apology. I am man enough to know when I have done something I regret. And I can admit it. I should not have called you a troll just because you called me a troll. Can we just move on and let bygones be bygones? Can we do that? Extend the olive branch? Can we call a truce and just start over? Turnover a new leaf? Be friends?

Please?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The article is OK but we're still very early in the EV game. I wouldn't be declaring winners and losers quite so early. Last year the Leaf was outselling the Volt. Now it's reversed. A big price cut for the Leaf might see another turn around. My view is that EREV is better for most people than a pure BEV but price is a big driver.

Just as a nit, if EV range is so important then the article should have accurately reported the Volt range, which is 38 miles, not 35 miles.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Wait a minute? I just realized that you don't really care about me as a person. You just publicly posted in this thread that I am a troll! I just looked up the word troll and you just publicly insulted me.
Regardless of whether SXBB cares about you as a person, I can honestly say I truly don't. You're not helping any of the conversations with your nonsensical sarcasm and pointless posts. You're not all that, even though you may think you are.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think it's the sarcasm. I think its the boundless depths of hostility covered by the thin veneer of sarcasm that bothers people. In the words of the esteemed Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis."

Veneer: a thin layer of material over the surface of a larger substance

·
Administrator
20,460 Posts
Did voltage692 move to Milwaukee? :)
At least voltage692 helped out by providing a wealth of wheel and spare tire info. Every post montgom626 has posted today has been negative and attacking. He's added nothing positive. I clicked his name and then Block Posts. Poof, he is gone from my view. Life is too short to have to deal with people like that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
At least voltage692 helped out by providing a wealth of wheel and spare tire info. Every post montgom626 has posted today has been negative and attacking. He's added nothing positive. I clicked his name and then Block Posts. Poof, he is gone from my view. Life is too short to have to deal with people like that.
I did this three hours ago.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think it's the sarcasm. I think its the boundless depths of hostility covered by the thin veneer of sarcasm that bothers people. In the words of the esteemed Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis."

Veneer: a thin layer of material over the surface of a larger substance
+1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But it's really starting to get unpleasant reading the posts here. I have to keep biting my tongue. Remember when we talked about the car?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Every post montgom626 has posted today has been negative and attacking. He's added nothing positive. I clicked his name and then Block Posts. Poof, he is gone from my view. Life is too short to have to deal with people like that.
I agree, and followed your example by blocking both montgom626 and dodger. Life will be some much more pleasant reading the intelligent posts of others without those two mucking up the flow of every thread. I also clicked on the reporting icon on their most egregious posts and reported them to the moderator, under the assumption that it helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts