GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh. I am a little confused by all the numbers and terms... Amp's, kWh's, etc...

I did the "EVSE conversion to L2/L1 combo" by ChrisTX on here and it works great but it does not charge as fast as I hoped.

Can you folks help me with a few questions?

Assuming the battery is as fully depleted, as the Volt will allow, 0 mile range:

Using the OEM charger with the ChrisTX adapter seems to put me in the 5-6 hr recharge time? How long should it take? Is it at 12 amps?

When looking at a new charger, how many amps can the Volt use? How fast will it charge at max amps?

I was looking into a 30amp charger since the price between it and lower amps seems negligible...

THANKS!

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
if you did the 240v plug adapter thing to the g2 charger, it is limited to 12A at 240v which is about 5 hours. If you get a 16A or greater L2 then it will charge in about 4 hours. Getting any bigger 25-40A EVSE won't make the volt charge any faster, than a 16-20A one, but it would allow you to charge a future vehicle at a faster rate(like a leaf or tesla, maybe a bolt) , assuming that future vehicle still uses the J1772 plug.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Really!? Going from 12 Amps to 16 Amps only cuts an hour... Hmm. OK, thanks
Yeah, it's not a huge difference because the Gen2 Volt's onboard charger is only 3.6kW compared to the ~3kW you're getting with the OEM EVSE running L2 voltage. If you want that extra 600W of power, you'll need to invest in an EVSE that can deliver 15A instead of the 12A. This is based on the rated 250VAC which almost no one gets at the house. I get 247VAC and I'm very close to a distribution station.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Really!? Going from 12 Amps to 16 Amps only cuts an hour... Hmm. OK, thanks
16 amp EVSE, but something like a 15 amp charger. Plus if you are taking 5.5 hours to charge and get it to 4.1 that might feel significant. Probably not worth spending several hundred dollars. The big jump,is going from L1 or L2. That is worth every penny to be blue to come home, eat dinner, the go shopping without feeling stranded waiting for the car to charge.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
16 amp EVSE, but something like a 15 amp charger. Plus if you are taking 5.5 hours to charge and get it to 4.1 that might feel significant. Probably not worth spending several hundred dollars. The big jump,is going from L1 or L2. That is worth every penny to be blue to come home, eat dinner, the go shopping without feeling stranded waiting for the car to charge.
Yeah, but the crappy thing about most public L2 stations is they tend to be 200-208VAC which brings it down to ~3.1kW charging. :(

·
Registered
568 Posts
yeah spending the money on a dedicated L2 charger that can output a solid 15A @ 240V - only really nets you an extra 960W worth of charging power which cuts charging time by about an hour.

Since I only ever charge at home I keep my EVSE mounted in the garage on a dedicated 240V circuit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just finished mounting mine today,and I am getting 235v. I guess I am not as close to the sub-station.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Yeah, but the crappy thing about most public L2 stations is they tend to be 200-208VAC which brings it down to ~3.1kW charging. :(
That's because most businesses are on a 3 phase 400v circuit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts