GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Here is the situation. I have a 16' Volt and charge at work using a 220 adapter to a 6-20r to the cars stock evse. So I am familiar with the conversion from the 110v to 220v with the 2nd gen volt.

I want to L2 charge at home in a similar way. I have a 220 dryer outlet not being used and another 220 line that ran to a electric grill in my kitchen that I recently removed and capped off in a junction box I installed last week.

One of the 200 lines uses a pair of 20 amp breakers and the other a pair of 30 amp breakers. So I guess I have a choice but does it really matter which run I use? is their an advantage of having a 60amp line as compared to a 40amp? I have both lines tripped currently because neither of them are being used.

I know little about electrical but can easily do this install given proper guidelines. I would like some opinions and those with more experience to offer up some guidance if you would. Thanks

In summary:
40 amp or 60 amp what to use and what is the best choice receptacle to use.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
A 240v breaker looks like 2 breakers held together by the switch handle.

If a 240v breaker says 20-20 it is 20 amps at 240v. This is plenty for any current Chevrolet Volt, which maxes out at 16 amps.
But if you anticipate getting another EV in the future, go with the 30-30 breaker. This will support 30a x 80% = 24 amps of continuous duty charging. Make sure it's 10 gauge or thicker wire.

To go Whole Hog, pull either breaker, replace with a 50-50 240v breaker and put in a 14-50R outlet using 6 gauge wire. This will support 40a charging for Teslas and 32a for Bolt EVs.

NOTE: It sounds like you should consult an electrician.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The stock EVSE only draws 12 amps. So a 20 amp circuit will work with no issues. The safest setup is the smallest breaker that will work for the application. So the 20A circuit would be the best approach.
Yeah but if he is buying a new EVSE, now is a good time to consider future useage. If he can get in a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet, that would be great. Depends on the wiring.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the advice/opinions it will all be taken into consideration. I contacted a friend who knows more than me and hope to get this competed soon. I have never charged at 220 at home (yet). It will be a treat to have this dedicated line instead of tripping the garage 110 circuit that seems to be overloaded as it is.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If your daily driving won't change in the future (miles per day), having a hugemongouslyexpensive 60-amp dedicated circuit is way overkill. Any EV will charge the 40 or 50 miles typically used daily at 30amps in a few hours or less.

Personally, I put in a 40-amp EVSE since over-sized = over-reliable. I have charged both a '13 Volt and a '14 ELR (4 years of charging) every night with zero issues. For the added reliability, I spent 3x the money needed though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts