GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my used 2012 Volt about 2 months ago. It would charge fine on the L1 Voltec that came with the car. After a couple of weeks the charging started to fail and after reading threads here, I discovered that the old extension cord and outlet were hot.

I switched out the cord with a nice and short 10ga heavy duty cord and replaced the outlet and all was fine. No heat at all in the connections and the charging worked again for a month. Now it is starting to fail again. Two days ago, the system would run and get interrupted at some point in the middle. Yesterday, the EVSE wouldn't even stay green without the car plugged in. I even tried without the extension cord and on another circuit. Same double red flashing lights after a minute or two. I also discovered that I could trip it quicker if I opened the garage door, but not always. This has not been an issue up to this point. Garage opener and EVSE are on separate circuits in a sub-panel in the garage.

So I got out the Kill-A-Watt and measured the voltage. 125.9-126v. When I open the garage, the voltage goes up to 126.5v and the EVSE trips immediately.

Transformer is at the end of my driveway so I am close.
Electrical run is only about 30' from Main panel.
Temps dropped from mid 80s to low 70s in the last two days and power demand probably dropped.

So is there an upper limit on the EVSE of 126v? I think that as demand has decreased, the voltage has been wandering up a bit lately and every time it wanders above 126v, it trips the EVSE. I am going to test for a bad neutral today. I really need to get my L2 installed!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Sounds like your garage door is on the same circuit as the EVSE. You should put in a new dedicated outlet, and your problems may go away.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your garage door is on the same circuit as the EVSE. You should put in a new dedicated outlet, and your problems may go away.
Main panel feeds 240v to sub panel in the garage. Volt EVSE and Garage Door are definitely on different 120v circuits.

According to the hang tag that came withe the EVSE you have a bad or intermittent ground. See our faq http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?15259-Voltec-120v-and-240v-Hang-Tags
I'll be checking for that tonight. It just seemed weird that I can set it off as soon as the voltage touches 126v. When it is 124v, I can open an close my garage all day without problems and my car charges fine.

I live near chicago so our electrical is all conduit. It is definitely possible that the conduit running underground between the house and the garage is rotted out and not supplying a good ground any longer. I'll fill you in when I find out. Since my electrician brother is coming to take a look, I might just have him install the SPX L2.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
It is definitely possible that the conduit running underground between the house and the garage is rotted out and not supplying a good ground any longer.
NEC does not allow conduit to be the ground, you must have a wire for the ground back to the common grounding point for the home. If indeed your install is using the conduit without a ground wire, the ESEV is reporting correctly the ground is an issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did some basic troubleshooting and found that hot-gnd is +6 volts vs hot-neu on one leg and -6 volts vs hot-neu on the other leg in the garage. In the house, the hot-gnd is the same as hot-neu. Guess I have loose connection feeding my sub-panel.

As for grounding with conduit, all of chicago is that way. Every home I have owned, my parents, and extended family have had conduit as ground.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
As for grounding with conduit, all of chicago is that way. Every home I have owned, my parents, and extended family have had conduit as ground.
New code wants separate green ground wire in the conduit connecting to the outlet fixture ground as well as to the box. Belt and suspenders I suppose.

BTW, my garage 120v outlet uses the conduit for ground, and my evse works fine, new building code requirements notwithstanding.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. I had issues with my EVSE shortly after I got my car too. It turned out that the EVSE was doing exactly what it's supposed to do and correctly identified a poor ground. Fixed that and haven't had an issue since. Of course, I also did the L2 charger thing and that was worth every penny!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
My electrician offered the same for my 240V receptacle. I told him I wanted a wire back to my service panel. My house was built new in 2007, but I know a few things about the type of contractors a builder hires. I will not rely on EMT for ground in this case. It was a long run with many, many joints.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My brother finally came to take a look at the issue and he determined that the conduit running from the house to the garage was probably rotted. I had a few extra unused wires running from the house to the garage and he used one for the ground. As soon as he did that, the voltages evened up and I have been charging in the garage for 2 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts