GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something that crossed my mind and thought I would post and ask... I'd you are running the Volt in L, when you let up on the pedal, do the brake lights come while the Regen kicks in? Same question, but on the regen paddle on the steering wheel...?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yes to both. Unless you are already at a slow enough speed that there is little regen.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The brake lights coming on is dependent on how much Gs of braking is applied, which basically means at higher speeds they will come on, and at lower speeds probably not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that would explain the funny looks from a driver behind me today as I was driving in town L mode and every time I would let off the acceleration pedal. She must have been getting annoyed by my brake lights coming on every time I let off accelerating.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My experience with L has been that they don't come on unless you are moving fast AND you take your foot all the way off the accelerator...

Well that would explain the funny looks from a driver behind me today as I was driving in town L mode and every time I would let off the acceleration pedal. She must have been getting annoyed by my brake lights coming on every time I let off accelerating.

·
Registered
568 Posts
this is cool to know -- it sounds like the set it up to act exactly like a regular car meaning:

if there's not enough speed reduction to trigger the lights it would be just like taking your foot off the accelerator and letting a normal type car slow under it's own (no brake lights)

If a regular car would have had to apply the brakes to get an equal amount of speed reduction then I can totally see why the brake lights would be programmed to come on. Basically so other drivers out there don't freak out and rear end you.

My volt should be arriving in 4 to 6 weeks ;) I plan on doing most of my driving in L as well for best regen.

Also - sounds like the lady driving behind you needs to increase her following distance

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
L doesn't really add a lot of regen compared to D in my experience but is better for control in stop and go traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
GM should have a indicator on the dash to indicate when the brake lights are on just like the signal lights.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
L and regen just change the dynamics of the car, but realize of you use D and the brake pedal, you can get just as much regen. For those looking to maximize range, the trick is to avoid regen and coast as much as possible as opposed to using regen as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
L and regen just change the dynamics of the car, but realize of you use D and the brake pedal, you can get just as much regen. For those looking to maximize range, the trick is to avoid regen and coast as much as possible as opposed to using regen as much as possible.
This exactly.

Coasting > Slow regen (easy "brake" pedal action or slow gas pedal return in L) > fast regen (paddle action, slamming the "brake" pedal or fast gas pedal return in L) > friction brakes > Smashing into a tree

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
This exactly.

Coasting > Slow regen (easy "brake" pedal action or slow gas pedal return in L) > fast regen (paddle action, slamming the "brake" pedal or fast gas pedal return in L) > friction brakes > Smashing into a tree
To add to this, the friction brakes only kick in at the very end of a normal stop (about 5 mph to 0 mph) or for the entire length when you brake in N or when you are panic stopping do avoid smashing into that tree or rear ending a car in stop and go traffic. I prefer the variable regen afforded by the brake pedal in D over the harshness of a full accelerator lift in L or paddle regen (I don't have it in my gen 1 but I'm told it is even harder pulling than L) and your passengers would appreciate less herky jerky driving. But if you learn to feather the accelerator in L, then you can achieve the same thing as a variable regen brake press in D.

New volt drivers, do and experiment for yourself. Over consistent temp days try you commute in L with the regen paddle then try it again in D coasting when opportune and using the brake pedal normally. I think you'll be surprised. Since my daily commute is 50 miles, I've had years to experiment and my results caused me to avoid L and drive like a grandpa, then I said decided to just stop driving like a grandpa and drive it normally at the speed limit, letting the pure EV range drop as a result.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Regen recovers about ~60% of the energy extended (+/- depending on how fast or slow you stop). The easiest way to maximize range is to limit regen as much as possible. For me, D does that best. L was too herky-jerky and I found, for me, range dropped slightly because I was in regen more than I was when in D. Then i went to the llninja method and just drove safely and without OCD :p.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I finished reading through the owner's manual, and I saw where it said the brake lights may come on with the regen paddle, but I don't recall seeing anything that said they might come on if you're in L and take your foot off the accelerator. If I didn't miss something, then how would know the lights are coming on, without someone you know driving behind you to tell you later?

My regular commute is through back-roads that vary between 25mph-40mph, and almost no stop lights or signs. I'm also trying to figure out whether it is more efficient to use L, or D with coasting and paddle. Is there a speed where you should definitely shift up from L to D? For some reason 40mph is in my head. Maybe that was in the manual somewhere....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Why? Do many other cars have that?
No, but in other cars the brake lights are activated if, and only if, you press the brake pedal. No need for positive feedback. Since this is not true in the Volt (because of the cool features like the regen paddle and L mode), I think this would be good information to have. Granted, I think it would have to be subtle so as not to be annoying.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So I finished reading through the owner's manual, and I saw where it said the brake lights may come on with the regen paddle, but I don't recall seeing anything that said they might come on if you're in L and take your foot off the accelerator. If I didn't miss something, then how would know the lights are coming on, without someone you know driving behind you to tell you later?
Regulations require the brake lights to illuminate above a certain rate of deceleration no matter what method the vehicle uses to reduce speed. So in terms of safety you really don't have to worry about it - if you're slowing down quickly enough that it's a danger to someone behind you then the lights will come on.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
No, but in other cars the brake lights are activated if, and only if, you press the brake pedal. No need for positive feedback. Since this is not true in the Volt (because of the cool features like the regen paddle and L mode), I think this would be good information to have. Granted, I think it would have to be subtle so as not to be annoying.
I guess I'm confused. What would do with the information of whether your brake light is on or not? How would you alter your driving on the basis of it? I'm not seeing what good it would do...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Regulations require the brake lights to illuminate above a certain rate of deceleration no matter what method the vehicle uses to reduce speed. So in terms of safety you really don't have to worry about it - if you're slowing down quickly enough that it's a danger to someone behind you then the lights will come on.
Did that change recently? I have an older manual transmission that I can downshift aggressively and the brake lights never illuminate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts