GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking ahead, since I ordered a Bolt EV on the 11-7. Spoke with Service Person who checks out the Volts and will check out the Bolt EVs. He suggestion order one from the internet. He uses the company provided Clipper Creek, which he showed me, out side. Said the dealer is going to put in a FCDC at a cost 18,000.00 - wow, that seems a lot but I believe that is what he said.

My Amazon choices for L-2 = ChargePoint, JuiceBox (40 Amp.), Clipper Creek and Siemens VC30GRYU.

Open to comment.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Based on reviews from this forum had Hcs 40 pro hard wired. It's bulky but flawless after 11 mos. It's become a must- have for me.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I bought a Clipper Creek LCS-25 back in 2013 when we owned TWO Volt's it easily charged them.

CC is the most recommended EVSE for charging. They are bullet proof, competitively priced and for me one of the most important requirements it's made in the USA. Oh and their customer service is second to none.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
I have the Siemens Versacharge. Running fine after 4 years of use. It can support the 7.2 kW the Bolt EV is capable of taking.

·
Registered
968 Posts
GM uses Clipper creek to make its portable 120v chargers on the G2 Volts. I also own an LCS 20p for charging my G2 volt at home. It has worked flawlessly. There have been a few threads in the G2 forums and charger subforuks about this topic that you might want to search.

For the Bolt, consider a 40 amp circuit for a 30 amp charger but check that your home wiring is sufficient to handle that device with the help of a qualified electrician. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I don't have any EV but in 2014 I built my own Level 2 EVSE from a EMW JuiceBox kit rated at 16 kW. The external cables and J1772 connector are rated at 30 Amps, so my EVSE was set at 7.2 kW (see my signature below). By luck, this is the maximum L2 rate for the Chevy Bolt EV, so in a way I saw the "future". EMW kits and assembled EVSEs are watertight. They can be dunked in water while powered up, so it will work even in a flood (I hope never).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Love my clipper creek HCS 40 for my Volt. Bought it specifically for my next EV I get (likely Bolt EV or maybe an i3, and now my wife wants the Pacifica hybrid, so maybe that instead). 7 KW charging is plenty for me, even for any future EV I purchase.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Whatever brand you buy, its needs to be 30 amps to charge at the maximum L2 rate the on board charger allows. Clipper Creek seems to have the edge in cost and reliability.

·
Registered
907 Posts
HCS-40 here for 2 years now. Never an issue. Volt and C-Max Energi. Got it back before we knew what the gen 2 charge rate would be.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Purchased a CC hch 40 back in Dec. 2013. Probably one of the first ones off the line from Clipper Creek. Had to have it replaced a few days later as the handle had a metallic loose object inside. CC sent a free mailer back and shipped on their dime a new one. So far so good. Once in a great while if there is a area power fluctuation the unit will go off. I than just reset the breaker and all is well again. This has only happened maybe 6 times in the past 3 years or so. Of course our 2016 Volt only charges at about 3.8 KWH I don't know how it would behave at 7.2 KWH....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^ that 40amp CC EVSE is probably the perfect capacity for the Bolt.
Once you get over 40amp capacity- the EVSE cable to the car gets unwieldy.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The EVSE that comes with the Bolt EV is the same that comes with the Gen2 Volt and can be converted to L2 capable with the adapter found in my sig. From empty to full, it could take ~19 hours to charge. If you're just running around town for 100 miles or so, it would be ~9 hours to charge back up.

Otherwise, a nice 40A Clipper Creek is going to be great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got an AeroVironment Nissan-branded EVSE-RS. 30A unit. I've had it for 4.5 years and have used it to charge my Plug-in Prius on a regular basis. I've also used it to charge a 2011 Volt and a 2012 RAV4-EV. All worked fine.

When choosing an EVSE, if there's a choice between a 15-foot cord and 25-foot cord, opt for the longer 25-foot cord even if it it's $100 more. You'll have more flexibility in how you park in your garage/driveway with the longer length.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the Schneider EVlink from Homedeot for $599 back in 2013. It was almost perfect for my leased 2013 Leaf, except that I'd go with a 25 foot cord next time.
The 18ft that came with that Schneider was just a little too short if I wanted to re position my Leaf at night.
The unit was a 240 volt, 30 amp unit and it took around five hours to fully charge the Leaf. I'm guessing that it would take nine hours with the Bolt.

The good part was that we got back $250 from the state of Georgia.

I'll be using this for my Bolt when I get it, but I have been looking at the ChargePoint unit on Amazon for $699 too.
With that unit you can see how much it is costing you through the IOS/Android app. I'd really like to be able to do that so.....

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have 2 L3 chargers in the garage, one is 30A and one is 16A -- we try to use the bigger one for the Bolt and the smaller one for the Volt, but she already had the Volt plugged in to the bigger one and there was plenty of time to charge the Bolt anyway.

I think using the smaller one may have made a difference in the battery conditioning that was done during preconditioning that I did before leaving. I started the precondition 20 minutes before leaving and then shortly after I left the house I checked the energy screen (top pic), and then when getting home I took another one (bottom pic). I thought I read in a thread somewhere that someone hadn't see a lot of battery conditioning shown on the graph, well this was a good amount, at least in the beginning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts