GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only getting 9.1 KWh on my 2015 Volt before engine kicks in. It has around 93000 miles on it. I used to get 11+ KWh before. I took the car in for a recall that had to do with resetting battery degradation limit and wondering if that is what is causing this. How many KWh are other gen 1 volts out there getting?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Other forum members have noticed a degradation of range after the software update was performed. Today my 2013 Volt got Recall N172130462-02 Loss of...

Apparently, the update just increased the amount of battery capacity the computer will leave remaining before it switches on the ICE. So, essentially, you lose some battery capacity. The tradeoff is (hopefully) longer battery life because the cells' voltages won't get as low.

I have a 2017 that isn't covered by this update but I'm going to try to manually implement it by never letting my battery get below 2 bars. Hopefully, if I do that and drive the car gently, the battery will last many years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am only getting 9.1 KWh on my 2015 Volt before engine kicks in. It has around 93000 miles on it. I used to get 11+ KWh before. I took the car in for a recall that had to do with resetting battery degradation limit and wondering if that is what is causing this. How many KWh are other gen 1 volts out there getting?
Other forum members have noticed a degradation of range after the software update was performed. Today my 2013 Volt got Recall N172130462-02 Loss of...

Apparently, the update just increased the amount of battery capacity the computer will leave remaining before it switches on the ICE. So, essentially, you lose some battery capacity. The tradeoff is (hopefully) longer battery life because the cells' voltages won't get as low.

I have a 2017 that isn't covered by this update but I'm going to try to manually implement it by never letting my battery get below 2 bars. Hopefully, if I do that and drive the car gently, the battery will last many years.

I have a 2017 Volt as well (wife claimed ownership a week after we bought it) and yes there is a similar recall on that one to adjust degradation point.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was getting 10.4, now, 20k miles later its at 10.1. I have noticed that if I don't go to full depletion for a long time (like over the summer), the first few time it does (entering late fall) itll be much lower, but then climb back to 10.1 most days.

21 days after this post:
Now that I've been running the ICE for a mile or two every day, back to 10.4. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts