GM Volt Forum banner

What are you averaging for KWH/100 miles?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
KWH/100 Miles From Onstar/MyVolt.com Poll

Just curious as to what everyone else was getting on Onstar/MyVolt.com. Please use the Onstar/MyVolt numbers as it includes charging losses that would not be accounted for if someone calculates it from the display information in their car.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I guess you're referring to our onstar reports? Mine has been 29.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you for posting this poll. When I got my car 18 months ago this info was 'coming soon' and I forgot about it. I like the total CO2 avoided figure best! For me it is 22,290 lbs lifetime! COOL!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for posting this poll. When I got my car 18 months ago this info was 'coming soon' and I forgot about it. I like the total CO2 avoided figure best! For me it is 22,290 lbs lifetime! COOL!
Yeah that information is cool too but my main objective is to save money and so I wanted to find out how efficient I was compared to others.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My driving habits vary as widely as my moods (young adult >-D.). So sometimes I've gotten as low as 150 DC Wh/mile to as much as 700 Wh/mile.

But my Onstar reports me as 310 Wh/Mi.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wish I knew, my lifetime KWH/100 miles has never worked on the OnStar site. For the last 30 days I'm getting 37 KHW/100 miles.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Stupid OnStar says 143 kwh/100 miles over the last 30 days. Wtf. In reality, with the cold, it's probably over 40.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those guys getting better than 25 kwh/100 miles, awesome job. I didn't think that many would be averaging that. For those doing better than 25 kwh/100 miles, could you post what your actual kwh/100 miles is? What does your display in your car show as your electric range? I would guess at least 45+.

Btw, it looks like the majority of the forum members are exceeding the EPA rating of 35-36 kwh/100 miles. Good job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My driving habits vary as widely as my moods (young adult >-D.). So sometimes I've gotten as low as 150 DC Wh/mile to as much as 700 Wh/mile.

But my Onstar reports me as 310 Wh/Mi.
The units you're showing look odd to me. I didn't know onstar/myvolt.com showed it in wh/mile. Are you stating what the car display is showing? If so that number doesn't include charging losses I believe like onstar/myvolt.com does.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't know if I believe people are averaging SUB 25 kwh/100. I think I'd need to see a half dozen diag reports posted before I believe that. I average about 45-46 miles in the fall/spring and I get 29 kWh/100. Sub 25 would have to be more than 50, right? Just don't buy that being an average for anyone. Prove me wrong.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It variest a lot with the weather. May-Setp I was at 25.. now with the cold its worse with my recent OBDII testing its been even murch worse. I reported 27, which was my average Oct11 to Oct12 (computed using data from voltstats and calibration data from a kill-a-watt -- my volt has not been consistent enough to do a year average).

Those reporting 25 might also be living in a very mild climate and reporting recent data..

·
Registered
230 Posts
The people reporting 25 are probably going by the KWH used on the dash, in which case it's easy to get low 20's. (2 46mi drives using 10.6kwh each, plus a little)

The numbers reported on onstar's site seem to be KWH pulled from the wall outlet. Only about 75-80% of that makes it to the battery with a 120V charger.

I assume the poll wants to know what was pulled from the wall outlet rather than what was used by the car, based on the choices provided.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was referring to the KWh measured at the dash for my 150-700 range. My OnStar reports 31 KWh/100 miles (which is equivalent to 310 Wh/Mi once you do the math)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
53 in the last 30 days. The weather has been bitterly cold here, hovering right around 0F.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
53 in the last 30 days. The weather has been bitterly cold here, hovering right around 0F.
Wow, the cold weather really does make a big impact. Here in southern California, I've averaged 31 over the last thirty days and my daily commute includes climbing 1200' in elevation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
-Well now you got me confused. I thought the lower the number the better. 46 with A/C, now down to 28 with just using the heated seats and learning how to drive it more smoothly.
John

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
For those guys getting better than 25 kwh/100 miles, awesome job. I didn't think that many would be averaging that. For those doing better than 25 kwh/100 miles, could you post what your actual kwh/100 miles is? What does your display in your car show as your electric range? I would guess at least 45+.

Btw, it looks like the majority of the forum members are exceeding the EPA rating of 35-36 kwh/100 miles. Good job.
I list all my electric and gas consumption on a spread sheet. I am currently consume 21.8 kWh/100 miles and my lifetime mpg is currently 77.9. My average ICE mpg is currently 44.0 mpg. I've driven 11,544 total miles, 4358 of them on battery. My bottom-line cost for electricity is $0.22 per kWh to charge and an average of $4.20 per gallon for premium gas. To date, my energy cost to drive is $0.06 per mile.

Factoring in the oil changes in the cost per mile driven, my late 2010 Prius, with a 50 lifetime mpg, cost more per mile. I love my Volt!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
^ That may be what you actually see on your display, but this is NOT what it costs to charge the car. I don't believe anyone with a sub 25 average until they show some screen shots of a few monthly diagnostic reports.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts