GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions here.

1) Anyone else in a Gen 2 experiencing this problem? My first though is maybe it's axle related. On mountain roads the problem seems to be worse. Always when slowing down and turning to the right. You can hear the sound in the video.

2) If this is an axle issue would it be covered under the manufacturers warranty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Donnie

·
Registered
193 Posts
A few questions here.

1) Anyone else in a Gen 2 experiencing this problem? My first though is maybe it's axle related. On mountain roads the problem seems to be worse. Always when slowing down and turning to the right. You can hear the sound in the video.

2) If this is an axle issue would it be covered under the manufacturers warranty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Donnie
That sounds like CV joints almost for sure. Or tie rods if the wheels lose when you shake them side to side.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't know about the wheels being loose. Not sure if I can jack the car up to check that.
You don't need to jack up the car, just grab the wheel on the either side and try to wiggle it if you hear a knocking sound or if there's excessive play then you know it's tie rods. If you don't hear anything and you only hear the sound when you're driving and turning then it's very likely the CV shafts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like CV joint to me. The faster you drive and turn, the more frequent the sound. Not sure about the warranty aspect of it. If it's a manufacturer defect then yes but it could also be from a torn CV joint boot from road debris or just wear and tear or even a loose clamp on the boot making it leak grease.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
627 Posts
Not normally. The CV joint and other parts of the suspension/steering system are wear items, and can be damaged due to road conditions.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If it only happens when turning, it's probably the axle/CV joints. If it happens at other times (e.g., braking while going straight), it's probably something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts