GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
That happened to me once but when I checked the drivers door it was unlocked. You might give it a try.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Press the unlock button on the door?

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, I did that too. I had my phone in my pocket so I launched the onstar app and just nlocked the car. You would think with the key fob in the trunk you could still press the button and unlock the car but no.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If the FOB is in the car, just press the unlock button on the door handle
I don't believe that works with the key in the trunk. The key has to be within a foot or so of the door being unlocked to work.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's in the trunk.. I can open my trunk with the doors locked, just have to hit the button on the hatch twice, instead of once. Should be within range for it to work.

Sent from the bushes... Outside your bedroom window...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I don't believe that works with the key in the trunk. The key has to be within a foot or so of the door being unlocked to work.
Depends if it's in a top corner near a door it might work. However you are right the keys need to be fairly close to the door to open it. Also the op could try pressing the button on the hatch release a few times. I find it takes a few presses to get it open when the doors are locked.

To add the op is in Australia and I don't think they have OnStar coverage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's impossible for this to happen in my car. I can throw my fob in my trunk and close the trunk. After about a second or less the trunk pops opens. This should be standard on all cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As I mentioned in my earlier post this happened to me one night a few months ago in airport parking lot 70 miles from home ( where spare key is located ). I thought, I'll use the on star app to unlock the doors and found that my phones battery was dead as I had forgotten to put it in airplane mode. After going around checking all the doors I found the drivers door unlocked. What a relief! Seems the Volt engineers did indeed think of everything, they even protected me from myself!.
At least in my 2014 it works this way. I just went out to the car to run a test of this scenario ( sans the dead cell phone) with the same results.
Thank you Volt engineers.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Oops,
Opened the boot, threw bag containing keys into boot, closed boot, voila, locked out......
You can't lock yourself out of a Volt. In the scenario you describe, the car will honk three times and unlock the driver's door. I returned to an unlocked car several times before I figured this out. I assume this lockout protection is also in Australian Volts. Have you checked it?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You can't lock yourself out of a Volt. In the scenario you describe, the car will honk three times and unlock the driver's door. I returned to an unlocked car several times before I figured this out. I assume this lockout protection is also in Australian Volts. Have you checked it?
It not impossible. We did it just last Friday.

My wife was driving, we went to the animal shelter (relevant only because we were both a bit distracted), and when we went inside I left my key and my phone in the car, but didn't lock it, so no warning honks.

When we came out I put the dog in the back, and shut my door. She put her purse in the back ( with her key and phone ) and shut her door, just as I touched the lock button on the front door. Result - all four doors and the hatch locked with the dog inside a hot car. No sign of the usual three honks, I would guess we didn't give it enough time.

Fortunately the phone in the animal shelter was available, we called the 1-800 number for OnStar, answered a few skill-testing questions, and the car was unlocked. If the OP is out of OnStar range or coverage then he has a problem.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Addendum to my post above. I forgot that I had disabled the 'keys left in car' audible warning. Maybe that disables lockout protection as well?

Just goes to show that any idiot-proof system just hasn't been tested by the right idiot. Or in our case, carefully choreographed pair of idiots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does this seem like a safety concern to anyone else? If you are sitting in your locked car, should someone be able to get in your car by just walking up an unlocking it by pressing the unlock button?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I left my key and my phone in the car, but didn't lock it, so no warning honks.

When we came out I put the dog in the back, and shut my door. She put her purse in the back ( with her key and phone ) and shut her door, just as I touched the lock button on the front door. Result - all four doors and the hatch locked with the dog inside a hot car.
I can't explain how your car ended up locked. You can't lock or unlock the car with the key inside unless you have a key outside the car. You can't disable the three honks when you close the hatch with a key inside. (Or in the case I run into often, I open the hatch before unlocking the car, then my wife unlocks the car and gets in with her key. Then when I close the hatch, the car honks three times, even though it isn't locked.)

I also have the "keys in car" warning disabled, but it doesn't disable lockout protection, and it doesn't disable the triple honk when you close the hatch.

It sounds like yet another bug in the locking software.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does this seem like a safety concern to anyone else? If you are sitting in your locked car, should someone be able to get in your car by just walking up an unlocking it by pressing the unlock button?
If the car is running and in Drive, with your foot on or off the brake, someone CANNOT walk up to you at a stop light and unlock ANY door.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I can't explain how your car ended up locked. You can't lock or unlock the car with the key inside unless you have a key outside the car. You can't disable the three honks when you close the hatch with a key inside. (Or in the case I run into often, I open the hatch before unlocking the car, then my wife unlocks the car and gets in with her key. Then when I close the hatch, the car honks three times, even though it isn't locked.)

I also have the "keys in car" warning disabled, but it doesn't disable lockout protection, and it doesn't disable the triple honk when you close the hatch.

It sounds like yet another bug in the locking software.
I'm thinking it was a matter of timing. There is a delay when you lock or unlock, and I think between the two of us giving contradictory commands we confused the system. As I said, maybe idiot proof but did they plan for two idiots at once?

Placement of the keys may have something to do with it. One was in the centre console, one in a purse on the back seat floor. Another thought - the car was full of wire-framed lawn signs at the time. Maybe signal interference?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts