GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think GM should offer an option to buy a transponder receiver to open my front door to the house with the car keys in my pocket.
I find myself pushing the front door (hands full of groceries, of course) semi-expecting it to behave like my car doors...
If I can keep my keys in my pocket for opening/locking/driving my car, then why not the front door to my house as well?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I do not want my house to be connected. Especially to OnStar.

I also don't tweet or Facebook, so, I'm somewhat of a curmudgeon.

Intrusive tech with bad security is something I avoid.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I think GM should offer an option to buy a transponder receiver to open my front door to the house with the car keys in my pocket.
I find myself pushing the front door (hands full of groceries, of course) semi-expecting it to behave like my car doors...
If I can keep my keys in my pocket for opening/locking/driving my car, then why not the front door to my house as well?
It is safer to get yourself a home butler that will open the door for you when you arrive. That is how the rich do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dewhite, that's actually a nice product. I'll check to see if it's available in the Netherlands/Europe...

·
Registered
595 Posts
you could always just drive your Volt in through the front of the house. the first time would be the hardest one, and it would be easy after that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
you could always just drive your Volt in through the front of the house. the first time would be the hardest one, and it would be easy after that.
You should probably check with your local building inspector on that one - might not meet with strict interpretations of the building code...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The homelink garage door opener cars (Volt!) is the defacto key to many houses already. Its also a vulnerability is the car is parked in front of the house.

This keyless entry technology exists for a long time, but it seems that they did not consider it a big market to open regular doors for some reason. It is a nice idea. The gold rush in mobile apps seems to be changing that perception. Quickset's bluetooth-based door opening is rather straightforward.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've thought that many times since getting my Volt. The Kwikset keyless entry just went on my short list since I am too poor to afford a butler. Really like the fact it doesn't require an extra fob in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you don't want to go the wireless route, but would still like to ditch the housekey on every one of your keychains, you could go with something like this:

http://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows/door-locks/entry/schlage-plymouth-bright-brass-electronic-keypad-entry-deadbolt/p-1736704-c-12306.htm

Entering the right code on the keypad engages a small pawl that allows the bolt to move when you turn the knob. Hence you are providing the rotary action, not a motor. The code(s) are reprogrammable, many styles and finishes are available, and the keypad is also backlit -- handy in the dark.

I like these over the motorized-bolt style keypad deadbolts, because the batteries need replacing less often, approximately once every three years. Also, I've heard (albeit anecdotally) that the motor-driven ones are somewhat failure prone.

Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts