GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First big snow of the season, remote start through the app won't work. Keeps saying there's no internet connection on my phone. Funny, mail and browser are working just fine.

Go to myvolt.com to remote start, says the command failed.

Thanks OnStar :frustrated:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Exact same message for me.
Figured I'd hit remote start from my desk before leaving work as it's a balmy -12C.. "no internet connection"
open browser, load a page fine, try again
"no internet connection"

Pretty much sums up my experience with onstar since 2015.

Considering moving up my timeline on DIY remote commands and just pretend the basic plan doesn't exist.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
and I though it not being activated yet on Apple watch with cell was bad
ie who runs into the health club with a big coat :)

·
Administrator
21,115 Posts
OnStar is often NoStar. Their web stuff seems to be a weak "link", haha.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i had this today, too with the key fob.

But, went to myvolt.com, and the first remote start worked - or at least it told me it did. Got delayed leaving work, tried a 2nd remote start from myvolt.com, and it threw errors. Odd thing is, when I got to my car, it hadn't replenished the battery yet - so maybe the 2nd one did work in spite of the error.

It's cold here today, bad time for this to happen.

- Lumos
2014 Gen1

·
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had this today, too with the key fob.

But, went to myvolt.com, and the first remote start worked - or at least it told me it did. Got delayed leaving work, tried a 2nd remote start from myvolt.com, and it threw errors. Odd thing is, when I got to my car, it hadn't replenished the battery yet - so maybe the 2nd one did work in spite of the error.

It's cold here today, bad time for this to happen.

- Lumos
2014 Gen1
Actually what you describe here is exactly what happened to me to a tee. The website did work once then threw a bunch of errors. I tried many times to do the second remote start. Went out there and it actually had done a second one at some point.

It may have also been the MyChevrolet app. I tried once there too and it seemed to work but then said I needed to update the app. Updated it and the. “No internet connection” just like I was getting on OnStar RemoteLink. Sigh.

At least it wasn’t just me. Seems like they’d have this basic functionality sorted out and reliable by now.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
With GMs apps working so poorly, it’s amazing the 10M lines of software in the car even work, but they do for the most part (sans infotainment system)

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I got that message as well. Restarted phone. Worked fine.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Happened to me (7am CST) as well on both WiFi and Cellular. I used the fob with no issues this morning. Just tried the app again (noon CST) and now it's working.

They updated the app about 5 days ago to 3.10, but, this just happened this morning. Must be a backend thing.

Someone mentioned a phone restart. I did hard shut down my phone last night to make it charge faster. (I rarely do this because of on-call status.) Might be a factor. However, I haven't restarted it today at all.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Ok- tell me again the connection between the FOB and onstar ?
or did you mean the App section that does FOB like functions ?

" I did hard shut down my phone last night to make it charge faster"
thought for a sec you were saying Volt charged faster ;-)

Far as I know all Iphones will restart after powered down when you plug in a charger

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yes, by fob app we mean the section of the onstar app with the functions of the key fob - lock, unlock, precondition, horn etc.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Perhaps, the "no internet connection" is between the cell towers and the Volt. I believe it uses AT&T in the US, and that coverage for me, is not as good as Verizon, which is what my iPhone is on. So, I can get a good connection on my phone, but poor reception to my Volt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When it happened to me it was clear that it was the software at GM that was down. Solid Internet connection and the car in a location with good cell coverage. The fact that it coincided with the myChevrolet site status changing from hour to hour reinforces this.

Basically a misleading error message.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
When it happened to me it was clear that it was the software at GM that was down. Solid Internet connection and the car in a location with good cell coverage. The fact that it coincided with the myChevrolet site status changing from hour to hour reinforces this.

Basically a misleading error message.
Exactly this.
Had I been parked in the underground parking at my other work site, I would have thought the same.
But my car was parked out in the open, covered by full strength of all 3 cell networks in the area. (though I know they use Belus for the car connection here)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mychevrolet android app updated this am and precondition worked.....It updated to 3.9.0, not the newer 3.10.0 mentioned above.

I had not used it for several months, and couldn't figure out how to get it to update the mileage and stats, so then updated the app and it then updated the statistics...
Curiously, app is a bit odd in that there doesn't seem to be a way to request an update....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts