GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought and programmed a second key fob and have been carrying it in the car with the battery removed. But I have no way to get in the car if I needed it. Could I remove the cut key from the fob and carry it outside as a hide a key? If so how does the key come off the fob?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
A small roll pin

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I bought and programmed a second key fob and have been carrying it in the car with the battery removed. But I have no way to get in the car if I needed it. Could I remove the cut key from the fob and carry it outside as a hide a key? If so how does the key come off the fob?
Just call Onstar...they can open your Volt for you...:)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I haven't tried this with my Volt yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the same as my previous GM cars. When you lock the car electronically with the interior button or fob, the alarm is armed. Then when you return and unlock the car with the manual key, the alarm will sound because you have unlocked the car manually.
You can lock the car with the manual push down button on the door to avoid arming the alarm system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Confirmed, you can use the Camaro key with number 23257735. Take it to a locksmith or dealer and have them cut it. The key will only open the door, no ignition, but you could use your dead fob inserted into the slot in the top of the dash to start it.

I got the Camaro key cut so I can trail run with it and not worry about it getting wet/muddy or fallen on. As the other poster said, you need to lock it with the push button, or with the Camaro key, otherwise when you come back and open the door with the Camaro key, the car is going to start honking because you didnt open it with the same method that was used to lock it.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Confirmed, you can use the Camaro key with number 23257735. Take it to a locksmith or dealer and have them cut it. The key will only open the door, no ignition, but you could use your dead fob inserted into the slot in the top of the dash to start it.

I got the Camaro key cut so I can trail run with it and not worry about it getting wet/muddy or fallen on. As the other poster said, you need to lock it with the push button, or with the Camaro key, otherwise when you come back and open the door with the Camaro key, the car is going to start honking because you didnt open it with the same method that was used to lock it.
Wait, the slot in the top of the dash doesn't have any ignition wires to start the car. It's just a ploy to get the fob closer to the fob sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts