GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and searched. Cannot seem to find the correct part number for 2014 ELR 5-button keyfob replacement. One of mine went through a Maytag heavy cycle and is toast.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Break out the wallet.;)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. All I was getting was the wrong one for CTS/SRX.

And yeah, I realize it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
For that price, they should at least throw the key in.

·
1,027 Posts
Open it up, pull the board out and take an old toothbrush and scrub it down with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry out a day or two. Pop in a new battery and it will probably work...

Mines been through the wash a lot of times :/

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
agree with the alcohol scrub.....you might also try tossing it into a bag of uncooked rice or bread and leave it at least overnight, especially if you aren't comfortable pulling the board out of the casing.

·
1,027 Posts
For that price, they should at least throw the key in.
If you old fob is truly dead, you can simply push the button to release and keep your old cut backup key.

I'd still like to know if the new Cadillac fobs are programmable to the ELR.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The part number is unique to the ELR, but I would imagine something else would program to the car. You could always pick up a cheap one on eBay and give it a shot.

·
1,027 Posts
The part number is unique to the ELR, but I would imagine something else would program to the car. You could always pick up a cheap one on eBay and give it a shot.
Well I tired pairing a loaner CTS-V key I had when the ELR was in for service and I picked up/dropped after hours for funsies and it didn't work. I assume they are different frequencies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased one on eBay .. Could NOT program it via the center console using documented procedures. I was able to take it to a dealer and have it programmed for $50 .. literally took them all day too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up an ELR with only one key. Has anyone been able to add a new key with the procedures in the owner's manual using an existing key fob? The instructions is turning the key counter-clock 5 times after opening the trunk to enable the add key menu. Turning it counter-clock is not possible due to open button on the trunk trim. I also took out the silver trim to find out the lock only turns in 1 direction, clock-wise.

The directions to added another key appear to be the same across all Caddy models around the same years. The key part being turning the physical key counter-clock.

The see the alternate instructions for adding another key without an existing key. Takes a little longer but still require turning it counter-clock.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I went to the dealer to have my FOB programmed.It's nice to have a friend work there,,programming via gm link was in the order of 20mins.kinda a pita,,gm wants to make sure your not a car thief.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
out of curiosity,I tried to put my key in the trunk lock and it won't turn CCW,,license plate light is in the way..guess I choose correctly in having my friend program my extra key.

btw,,anyone else notice these keys don't like the cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took out the silver trim & license plate light. The lock does not turn CCW. Seems the only way is by the diagnostic tool. Local dealers in Orange County CA wants $160.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts