1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
261 Posts
Indeed a good article, but some will probably walk away with the impression that the Volt only makes sense for those who have solar and work at home, which is an EXTREMELY narrow audience! As it is, too many people don't even consider the car because they think it has too many limitations, when in fact the whole point of the Volt was to be electric, with no limitations.

If you need five seats, or if you do not have access to an outlet at home OR at work, then maybe the Volt's not your car. Beyond that, who wouldn't benefit from owning this car over any other $30-35k sedan?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
If you need five seats, or if you do not have access to an outlet at home OR at work, then maybe the Volt's not your car. Beyond that, who wouldn't benefit from owning this car over any other $30-35k sedan?

*$27k after fed tax credit, $23k after Illinois rebate (or $21k after Colorado rebate).

Yes indeed. The Volt is a steal at these prices. ESPECIALLY when you then add in the year after year gas savings, oil change savings, brake pad savings.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Good prices now. But many small Chevy dealers have opted out of the Volt program so it is up to high volume dealers to move them. Even the place i got mine (see below link to stingray) only has pre 2014 models on the lot and at one time had more than 50 volts overall.

·
Registered
918 Posts
This sentence alone would prevent me from recommending this article to prospective Volt buyers:

"If you have a 50+ mile commute and no access to recharge a car at work, I wouldn’t recommend a Volt, although other electric vehicles offer more range that could work."

It's very disappointing to read such uninformed opinion from someone who's driven a volt for over 12 months. I guess some people are too lazy to do simple math or create a short comparison formula using excel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 51 mile commute, and hope to maintain 80% EV ratio through my first winter. I've taken 4 trips that would have been outside the range of all BEV's but the Tesla's. That 50 miles is pretty close to what you'll get out of a Leaf in winter with heater running, when the car is new. Factor in battery degradation, and I would get severe range anxiety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts