GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reliable are these Volts? I do see a bunch of high mileage ones, but also some being sold for parts. I guess that’s with every vehicle.

My situation: we had a new 2016 for 3 years on lease. It was awesome. But the lease buyout was too high and we instead found a 2014 at a steal of a price. We’ve now had this one for 3 years. On both models, we had no problems whatsoever. Is this typical or is one gen more vulnerable to issues than the other?

Question- Any issues going from a 2014 back to gen 2? Current car has been great but we wish we kept the gen 2 for the more modern look and UI, along with the range.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Going on 3.5 years on my 2017 Volt and I love it. Almost no issues other than a bad brake switch which would cause it to drop out of cruise control (warranty fix). Recently picked up a 2011 Volt for my son so now I can compare.

The 2011 is a good car (stereo is better than my 2017) but the Gen 2 is much quicker off the line and I love that. And of course, the range is much better in the Gen 2. As for reliability, I think these are some of the best built cars GM makes so reliability = very very high! Going back to Gen 1:

Negative (Gen 1):
1. not as quick off the line (but fine),
2. range (depends on driving habits),
3. no android auto/apple Carplay in Gen 1
4. not enough usb ports, his 2011 only has 1 usb in the arm rest, not the most convenient thing but hey, it's a 2011
5. premium gas (Gen 2, regular), but really, the tank is small on both so fill ups (not very often) are nothing

Positives (Gen 1):
1. love the little pocket in front of the shifter in the Gen 1 for stuff (Gen 2 has in front which is harder to get at)
2. used one should be cheaper than a Gen 2 used vehicle
3. the mode switch is easier to get at in the Gen 1, in the Gen 2 by (the armrest) can be hard to get at if you have a drink in the cup holder but really, not a big deal (sport mode is so much fun!)
4. just a solid car and is a great drive

Only issue I think you'll have going back to a Gen 2 is dealing with the smile on your face at stop lights!

Good luck, hope it all works out.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
113 Posts
I recently traded my 2014 for a 2018. The only advantages of the gen 2 for me is the increased range and quieter engine, otherwise I think the gen 1 handles better and feels more nimble. Gen 1 does look better, but that's just my opinion.

Really the only reason I traded was for the longer Voltec warranty. My goal was to still have a little Voltec warranty after it's paid off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts