GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to disable Bluetooth audio streaming but keep the telephony features active? I have found the Bluetooth audio to be erratic with a lot of connection issues and poor sound quality.

I hooked an Aux cable up to my phone, and now the sound is tremendously better, but the car Bluetooth occasionally takes over the audio connection and I have to switch it back.

If possible, I don't want to disable Bluetooth altogether on the car, but I don't want to fight with it, either.

I have an iPhone 6s+ and I don't see any way to accomplish this on the phone.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
On my Android device I go into BT settings for my paired device and can turn on or off Media vs Call Audio independently. Does iOS have something similar?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I know you can swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone screen and toggle BT easily. Not sure if that helps your issue.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
When does it switch to BT audio?

Does it have anything to do with a navigation app trying to give verbal audio directions?

Or using "Siri"?

If it's just switching randomly, I'm not sure what the cause or fix might be. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When does it switch to BT audio?

Does it have anything to do with a navigation app trying to give verbal audio directions?

Or using "Siri"?

If it's just switching randomly, I'm not sure what the cause or fix might be. :(
It happens randomly, never while touching the phone or the infotainment/Bluetooth controls. To get audio back, it's necessary to toggle output back to Headphones in the Airplay control.

For now, I'm keeping Bluetooth disabled on the phone, which sucks for several reasons.

I noticed the audio system in the Volt supports USB-based firmware upgrades. Anyone done that?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What if you used the USB cable to connect instead of the aux cable?
That seems to work okay, other than the ridiculously long startup time before I can start listening to anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The volt infotainment and apple bluetooth stack do not play well at all. Sometimes mine will connect and say it's playing but produce no sound. I then have to break the connection and reconnect to sometimes get it to work.

I've encountered the issue with the car just taking over bluetooth but only on phone calls. Even after I switch it back to the phone the car will just decide to take over again without any intervention from me. The USB connection isn't much better as it randomly sits and indexes forever.

I hope someone is able to shine some light on a fix but I've all but given up. IMHO the infotainment system is the single weakest point of my 2013 Volt.

-JAE

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I use bluetooth audio streaming with great results in my 2013 (w/ Nav, Bose). I also use it for speaker phone. I have used iPhone 6 and 4S with it. I have also used Android briefly for telephone only. I am not an audiophile, but I don't notice any difference in sound quality compared to radio or XM. Certainly nothing obvious like static or skipping. And no usability problems like failure to connect, etc. Not sure what the difference could be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Compared to radio or XM, I agree the Bluetooth sounds about the same. CD/AUX and USB sound much better. The USB dock connection drives me nuts because it takes several minutes from when I plug my phone in until I can get audio playing in the car, and it likes to do things on its own, like suddenly start playing an album from my phone that I do not want to hear. Sadly, keeping Bluetooth disabled and using an aux cable has been the best compromise for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts