GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This app has been non functional for everyone since beginning of February. My last update was Feb 6. Refresh no longer works, just immediately comes back with Unable to contact vehicle.

Other people who have uninstalled and then re-installed are getting a bad gateway error. I sent an email at the beginning of the week the voltsocialmedia, but received no response.

I know this is maintained by an outside company. I do have a contact email with one of the developers but I am getting no reply from them. It really looks bad to have such poor customer support for an application with GM's name on it. Could you look into this issue?

Thanks,
Ari.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Looks like you're on Android. The iOS version of the app seems to have stopped working on January 25th, the last day I have stats data.

If I hit the refresh button I get "The operation couldn't be completed. (DLWebServiceErrorResponse error 502.) Similar 502 error if I try to change my goal percentage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I contacted the company who developed the app http://www.detroitlabs.com/chevy-volt-mobile-app/ a few months ago and they indicated they wish it would be fixed also. Maybe GM should use some of their 8000 programmers to fix this app if the app developer can no longer maintain it. I thought it was a well designed and interesting app but it was never very reliable, although that may have more to do with onstar than the app. It seems like they should either pull it or make it work with the launch of the 2016.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Maybe they need to hire Mike Rosack...:)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you're on Android.
Wrong, BlackBerry Z30. But you are close, as I am running the Android APK for VoltDC in my Z30.

The app itself is fine, it's the OnStar authentication that's broken. Error 502: Bad Gateway.
OnStar authentication is not broken, per VoltStats working again. They just need to call dev support with OnStar and work through the issues.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I took this junk off my iPhone over a year ago. I think GM is going for the title of "Lowest rated app on Apple App Store".

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
OnStar authentication is not broken, per VoltStats working again. They just need to call dev support with OnStar and work through the issues.
They changed the server without redirecting to the new one.

Zero planning, zero change control, zero regression testing.

OnStar is a big fat ZERO.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I guess that explains why VoltDC could not fix their backend server in over a month. Very difficult to change a hard coded URL.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bumping until I get a response from Volt Social Media.......

·
Registered
123 Posts

If that is the case, then could we figure out the old server address with a little "sniffing" and somehow find out the new server address (Mike Rosack?) then fix the problem via host file redirection?

Hell, if it was a simple as a new server address, I could even decompile the VoltDC apk, fix the server address and recompile it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried calling the Volt Advisor line today to complain. Hours on Saturday are until 8pm, however noone was there to answer the call at 3:45pm when I called. tried a few more times the next hour and still noone picked up. Just a message for me to try again later, not even an option to leave a voicemail :(

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
your point about the gateway and getting into the app seem right on.

BUT

at it's core to work the app needs some data from the car ( like how many miles your drive each day )

It looks like the web site looks at least once a month to send us the monthly reports but what does this app do ?

Does it get data when WE use the remotelink app or at midnight or if after a full charge ?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The Driver Challenge app isn't even available in the Canadian App Store. I don't give a damn if it's metric or not just make it available to EVERYONE!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
your point about the gateway and getting into the app seem right on.

BUT

at it's core to work the app needs some data from the car ( like how many miles your drive each day )

It looks like the web site looks at least once a month to send us the monthly reports but what does this app do ?

Does it get data when WE use the remotelink app or at midnight or if after a full charge ?
Back during the days of it working - if you could call it that - it appears to be a poll of data around 10 PM local time for me. I say that because my miles/day did not seem to match reality if they were driven between then and midnight. It would not display any data for that day until around that time.

What baffles me most are the missed data fetches. Our vehicle is garaged every night and as a Ham Radio operator, I know how objects can disrupt a signal by parking, say, one inch more to the left or so. But that theory gets blown away by the data fetches that appear on MyVolt.com and VoltStats which are harvested while parked in the same spots - and work.

My display of data in MyVolt.com is a live fetch for some data but lags by 12-18 hours on actual "per trip" and other granular data. My VoltStats data is accurate as of the timestamp displayed - meaning it goes through OnStar to make a direct, realtime call to the vehicle.

But back to the VoltDC App - In over two years of having it loaded, the only months that I have data for every day of the month are March, April and May of 2013 and October, 2014. All of my other months look like swiss cheese - if there's any data at all. I have two consecutive months with zero entries. On mine, Feb., 2015 has only the 1st - 3rd with data.

All that to say I consider the App a failure at this point. I only keep it loaded in hopes of it one day finally working as intended.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
That 10 pm data fetch seem to match some of my data

at one time the data was so good I used it to pay the Condo for my power usage

(we agreed on 1 kwh per 5 miles and $0.95 per Kwh) now I use a kill-a-watt meter

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the latest on the VoltDC App. I was able to get in contact with a member of the VoltDC team and this is what I was told:

The issue is known, and is in the OnStar bug queue for sorting and resolution. Beyond that, sadly, I do not have any solid timelines from GM's IT group. There were a number of issues with the latest upgrade to the RemoteLink software and services, so the teams are actively working on fixes to resolve those issues. We have identified the changes that need to be made, and are waiting on them to be prioritized in the queue and executed.
Why is it taking so long for OnStar to make this change? This should be a priority, not put on some feature request queue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts