GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sexy is it's first, middle, and last name. Also covered in unobtainium.

Karma Automotive SC2-Side.jpg

The battery-electric concept has front and rear mounted twin electric motors that deliver 800 kW peak power, with 10,500 pound-feet wheel torque and 350 miles of pure electric range. The I-shaped 120 kilowatt-hour battery is housed in the center tunnel beneath the dashboard and seats.

The vehicle has carbon ceramic breaks, a push-rod operated racing suspension and a Karma torque vectoring gearbox.

The hinge-winged doors aren’t the only flashy or tech-forward features. The concept has long-range radars, cameras, and FMCW lidar sensors in a nod towards an autonomous driving future.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/19/karmas-new-electric-hinge-winged-hypercar-concept-goes-0-to-60-mph-in-1-9-seconds/

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Late September I talked to a high level exec from Karma. Revero GT was on display. Article reads like they've given up on actual production.

This type of deal brings to mind a posting about the demise of another American company that was bought by Chinese interests, ran for a whie then was shuttered this month.

"They don't need to know anything about aircraft, as that's not why they bought the company. Chinese make money on real estate. They go outside their country and buy companies and intellectual property and state their intention to manufacture in China. The country then grants them land ownership, not just for manufacturing facilities, but also to develop for employee housing and all sorts of associated things. Then the second step is to get grants for building homes and other facilities, so their other companies get paid to build them.They restart or keep the acquired company going long enough to let the land deal to become final and then let it implode and close it. In the end, they are sitting on top of a bunch of land and buildings they can sell and keep the profit from. These guys just turned themselves into official billionaires....."

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
I had a deposit on a Fisker Karma about 5 years ago. Wow am I glad I got that back. ... before bankruptcy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_Automotive

History[edit]

In February 2014, Chinese auto-parts supplier Wanxiang Group purchased assets of Fisker Automotive for $149.2 million in a bankruptcy auction. These assets included design, a plug-in hybrid powertrain, and a manufacturing facility in Delaware.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] Karma Automotive was formed in October 2015.[SUP][5]
[/SUP]

The purchase excluded the Fisker brand and trademarks owned by Henrik Fisker. In 2007, Fisker Automotive was founded by Henrik Fisker and his business partner Bernhard Koehler.[SUP][5][/SUP] Its Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid sports sedan debuted in 2011, and about 2,000 of the vehicles were sold.[SUP][5][/SUP] After Fisker's battery supplier A123 Systems filed for bankruptcy after two battery recalls, Fisker Automotive could not continue making vehicles, and the company declared bankruptcy in February 2014.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] Wanxiang also purchased A123 following its bankruptcy declaration.[SUP][7][/SUP] In early 2016, Karma Automotive enlisted a straw buyer in an attempt to reverse engineer technology from a parts supplier and former employee.[SUP][8]

[/SUP]

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, concept is my take. Just eye candy. Who knows if anything will ever result from it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
They have to built it so that Richard Hammond can crash test it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts