GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the K&N cabin filter? I didn't even know they made them until I stumbled on it. I'm assuming they would pass more air than a paper filter, since they are designed like their engine filters.

Curious if anyone has tried one.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
For my cabin, I use the breathe easy to filter out more air. Not a fan of pollen.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The 2 lower cost filters from Amazon still forced me to use one setting higher on fan speed.

I used the old put your face in front of the air vent test.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Has anyone tried the K&N cabin filter? I didn't even know they made them until I stumbled on it. I'm assuming they would pass more air than a paper filter, since they are designed like their engine filters.

Part number? Link?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I went with the higher priced filter with carbon on Amazon. I figured it cleans the air I breath and keeps debris out of the car and worth a few more dollars.

I haven't noticed needing to use a higher fan setting. Maybe it does need a higher fan setting I can't tell but I don't think it makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
knfilters.com/cabin_air_filter/chevrolet_volt.aspx
Cool, thanks.
I did a "do it yourself" that seems to be working fine but my co-worker wants a "real" filter (as in made for the car) so I'll pass this along to him.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Keep in mind that they flow more air by doing less filtering. I've got a K&N in my Ninja's airbox (along with some other mods to take advantage of the extra airflow), but I'm happy with the standard filter for the Volt cabin for 1/3 of the price. I'd personally rather have better filtering with slightly reduced airflow for cabin air.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

Feel free to overpay for a K&N cabin air filter if you'd like.
They offer performance gains on gas motors, certainly not much to gain with a cabin air filter.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wonder how K&N filters work for the cabin. The engine intake ones are an oiled paper type with the oily paper filtering and allowing more air flow. They are rechargeable washing them out with detergent and re oiling. Seems like an oiled cabin filter would tend to smell bad.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Feel free to overpay for a K&N cabin air filter if you'd like.
They offer performance gains on gas motors, certainly not much to gain with a cabin air filter.
Yup, very different purposes. Engine air filter is to trap sand, leaves, seed floaters, bird feathers and other such crap out in a big, handy space instead of a little inaccessible space near the valves so air still has room to flow in unrestricted. It ain't a respirator for your car. Organic dust and pollen the engine doesn't care about -- it'll just burn that up. Cabin air filter is to keeps the dust, mold spores and pollen from cycling in and giving the passengers a problem, and IS like a respirator. You can SEE though a K&N filter -- how's that going to keep the ragweed out?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I wonder how K&N filters work for the cabin. The engine intake ones are an oiled paper type with the oily paper filtering and allowing more air flow. They are rechargeable washing them out with detergent and re oiling. Seems like an oiled cabin filter would tend to smell bad.
The last K&N I had was a fiber mesh with pinholes in it. Yes oiled, but certainly you could see your feet moving around through the thing. It did smell pretty funky, but I figured the engine didn't care.

Edit: found closeup image. Look, daylight!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts