GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
From the lurking I've done on the i3 forums, I think the math model proposed for the Tahoe trip is better than the real experience would be - because the author assumes that he'd have the full power of the range extender (compensated for altitude) available at any speed.

In fact, however, for better user experience BMW appears to have limited output at lower speeds to keep the noise down. As I understand it, the car won't give full power below 56 mph no matter how low the battery gets. (This may be one of the things BMW is changing in the promised improvement update.)

Most of the description of the Volt is fair, but the authors do insist on lumping the Volt I'm with the PiP and Energi twins, suggesting volt drivers mix gas in as necessary and randomly raising the limit of PHEV electric range to match the Volt's ability.

I'm a little puzzled that authors who are feeling the pull of freedom in a car and missing out in their EV don't feel the pull more strongly in a Tesla, where they can cross the country for free on Superchargers (well, after they buy the expensive car or pay for the option.) It seems like more freedom to me...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts