GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
John could have made his point without talking about the Volt, calling it a PHEV, or equating it to a PiP. Yet both he and Peder made these references repeatedly, even inventing the notion that since the Volt has such a short AER it causes "Range Anxiety".

These guys are not stupid, why do they have to belittle other plugins, including the Model S, in order to promote the i3 or justify why they got one (or two)? An inferiority complex, some sort of regret, arrogance, or something else?
It's marketing, and yes, GM does it too.
When the Volt was brand new, GM mentioned the Prius quite often.
New models need to be defined. Usually by being compared to the best in class. You should be pleased, not upset.
Although because there are relatively few electrics some pretty wild comparisons are made.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The EREV is really a marketing term.
What you ascribe to PHEVs are simply engineering choices.
How much or how little of a vehicles capabilities are available in electric mode is not a defining factor.
Some plugins, like the PiP can't even move at typical highway speeds without kicking in the gas engine. Others like the Volt can do almost anything without having to resort to the gas engine.

As for "gas anxiety" you minimize it. Most Volt owners I know, including at one time my wife and I, hate it when the gas generator kicks in.
I'm glad it doesn't bother you. And I am sure there are others it doesn't bother either. I suspect at least half of owners don't like it when that generator kicks in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts