GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is yet another article written to explain and justify the i3 REx as a prudent choice for an EV without limitations:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-i3-rex-one-owners-thoughts-on-bevx.html

Unfortunately, the author resorts to comparing it with and bashing the Volt in order to make his point. This appears to be a consistent approach for i3 aficionados:

http://insideevs.com/range-anxiety-2-0/

BMW also bashed the Model S when they introduced the i3 at the various test-drive events earlier this year. They kept at it despite the audience's advice that it does not help BMW sell the i3s. While in my view it indicates that they are trying desperately to compensate for something, in the view of the unacquainted reading these the Volt is presented in a negative light.

Today's announcement of the larger and possibly more powerful 1.5l all aluminum engine for the new Volt makes me feel warm and fuzzy. No, it is not because I want to drive my car on gasoline. It is because when I do need to drive it so, it will not disappoint me.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John could have made his point without talking about the Volt, calling it a PHEV, or equating it to a PiP. Yet both he and Peder made these references repeatedly, even inventing the notion that since the Volt has such a short AER it causes "Range Anxiety".

These guys are not stupid, why do they have to belittle other plugins, including the Model S, in order to promote the i3 or justify why they got one (or two)? An inferiority complex, some sort of regret, arrogance, or something else?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The difference is that hybrid and plugin hybrid vehicles were designed to be gasoline vehicles with the occasional use and assist of an electric motor. Their full performance is only achieved when the gasoline engine is used, and there are functions of the car such as cabin heat that can only be achieved with that engine.

Extended range electric vehicles were designed to be primarily an electric vehicle with an engine used to extend the range. They achieve full performance and functionality (albeit not range) with their electric drivetrain alone. There are quite a few Volt owners adamant never to use gasoline for propulsion or at all. They can do that because of the EV nature of their Volt. That decision of theirs does not result in a new form of range anxiety as proclaimed by Peder. It doesn't even make sense to call it gas anxiety, the car will not abandon them in the middle of the road. Big deal it will use a few drops of gas to get them to their destination. Even pure BEV owners object to experiencing range anxiety, once used to the car and the charging infrastructure that simply does not happen to them. However it is a tool used by the naysayers to bash all plugins.

Why am I so adamant against the free use of "plugin hybrid" to describe EREVs? Because the user/reader fails to appreciate the plug/EV part and gets stuck on the hybrid part, falling into the trap of comparing the EREV to non-plugin hybrids or even gas cars. The concept of a dual energy source vehicle stumps a lot of people. They simply cannot appreciate the nuances, which have significant consequences such the high number of EV only miles on the Volts. "It's not a hybrid if you don't use any gas", says Mike Rosack of voltstats.net.

Then they are the naysayers who point fingers and proclaim that the Volt is not an electric car, it's a fraud, and any sort of attempt to reason with them is futile. GM kind of did itself a disfavor by making prudent engineering decisions surrounding the use of the engine in the Volt. However these decisions do not change the nature of the car. We know what choices BMW made as that was described in your blog on many occasions. The i3 has merits it can stand on and it does not need the Volt to compare. It especially does not need false contrasts being drawn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts