GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just picked up my new Volt a few hours ago. Still getting used to the new features. This one has safety 1 ad 2 and NAV. I am a GM Powertrain Engine Calibration Engineer retiree. So I know a lot about these features from development vehicles I drove prior to retiring. I have always liked the Volt. Since retiring I drive 60 miles twice a week to volunteer at The Henry Ford Museum, helping maintain a fleet of 15 Model T touring cars and 10 Model A trucks. These vehicle are as close to original as we can make them. They each travel 8000 to 10000 miles a year within the museum grounds, Greenfield Village. The cars are used to transport visitors and the trucks to service te village.

Back to the Volt In the summer I was able to commute about 48 - 50 miles on electricity. I look forward to going the entire trip gas free now. In the Winter I usually get about 30 - 35 miles on electricity. So I figure I should get over 40 miles easily.

O bye the way I also own a 1921 Model T Touring car that I drive about 2000 miles a year on tours.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I think you'll love the new safety features, and for sure you'll be able to do the drive in CD Mode.

Your hobby sounds very cool. Fun thing to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the Winter I usually get about 30 - 35 miles on electricity. So I figure I should get over 40 miles easily.
Congrats on the new Volt. I just picked up my leased 2017 Volt on Friday. I've been seeing 50 eMiles in about 35 degree weather. Hoping it'll stay that way in this chilly weather and go up much higher in the summer.

You have a very cool job. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The Henry Ford is a fantastic museum. I visited last summer with my nephew and it was far more than he or I expected.

Perhaps it's a dumb question but what kind of gas mileage does a T get?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Cool story, does the HFM have any EV charging stations? If not maybe you could start a campaign and get some installed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine typically gets 22 to 24 mpg when driving 35 - 40 MPH. Mine has an improved aftermarket head that raises the compression ratio from 3.9 to 5.5. When I had the stock head on it it got 16 to 18 mpg. The new head raised the power from 20 to about 25 Hp. My T weights about 1600 pounds. It is 11 ft long, 5 ft wide and 7 ft tall. Holds 5 people with very limited storage. It is water cooled but no water pump. The engine and trans uses the same pan so the flywheel splashes the oil everywhere in the engine, no oil pump required. The gas tank is under the front seat. And the carburetor is down level with the frame so gravity feed, no fuel pump. It is one of the first cars that ALL of the powertrain and brake system is enclosed out of the elements greatly improving useful the life of everything. The T engine was the first with a detachable cylinder head. He was told it could not be done. He recommended taking the head off every 1000 miles and scraping off the carbon build up, then reinstalling it using the SAME head gasket. Also Ford did not invent the moving assembly line for automoblies. Oldsmobile had it in 1903.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Amazing isn't it that many SUV and truck drivers are not getting the gas mileage of a Model T. Shameful. Hey, I used to have a '62 Corvair Monza. "Unsafe at any speed" according to Ralph Nader. In my hands, he was right! Gotta put the Ford museum on my bucket list. I'll ride my Harley there!

·
Registered
353 Posts
In 2002, 2004 my wife, kids, small dog and I made an 8000 mile, 4 week, "Circle OF America". We towed a Toyhauler travel trailer w/ our 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 diesel.

We have LOTS of fond memories from those trips, plus a 7000 mile trip in 2009. Of the 40-something states we visited, The Henry Ford, was one of our most favorite places! Great fun for all ages, gender, car "fan" or not!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi I just picked up my new Volt a few hours ago. Still getting used to the new features. This one has safety 1 ad 2 and NAV. I am a GM Powertrain Engine Calibration Engineer retiree. So I know a lot about these features from development vehicles I drove prior to retiring. I have always liked the Volt. Since retiring I drive 60 miles twice a week to volunteer at The Henry Ford Museum, helping maintain a fleet of 15 Model T touring cars and 10 Model A trucks. These vehicle are as close to original as we can make them. They each travel 8000 to 10000 miles a year within the museum grounds, Greenfield Village. The cars are used to transport visitors and the trucks to service te village.

Back to the Volt In the summer I was able to commute about 48 - 50 miles on electricity. I look forward to going the entire trip gas free now. In the Winter I usually get about 30 - 35 miles on electricity. So I figure I should get over 40 miles easily.

O bye the way I also own a 1921 Model T Touring car that I drive about 2000 miles a year on tours.
Wow, that's really awesome. My wife and I visited the Henry Ford this past August. I was totally blown away by the whole experience. We spent 2 days and needed 4 to truly take it all in. We Will be going back again. The one thing I enjoyed the most was taking the Model-T tour. I asked our driver what the oldest T was in the fleet. Much too my surprise he said, it was the one we were riding in. I think he said, it was a 1913.
It had more Brass than most of the others.

Here is picture I took of it after the ride was over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
756 Posts
Congratulations on moving up from the 2014 to 2017 premier. I did exactly the same a few weeks ago. As for mileage I'm getting 60 EV miles on mixed highway and local use. Needless to say I'm very pleased..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts