GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0079.jpg
So, how good is GM's battery technology? Well, just today I exceeded 46 miles on a single charge and beat my previous record of 45 miles. This is an old 2011 Volt with 48,000 miles on it!

Clearly GM's battery technology is rock solid.

Luv, Luv, Luv my Chevy Volt!!!

Cheers,
Eric J Edelen
Volt #3219

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Congrats, and yes from everything I'm reading GM over protected/engineered the Volt's battery. Even high mileage Tesla owners are only reporting about. 1% loss per year.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Drive slower and when temps are ideal you should be able to get 50 miles. Drive like Ari C around 20-25 mph and you can try to beat his 81.8 mile record. Alas, I'm not sure that would be safe and prudent on Mkntana highways. So how much range do you get pegged at 100 mph? It seems that you're the only person who can check that for us legally, (not that I'm suggesting you go try that if you haven't already)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sounds good. I've achieved several 48 miles drives last year on my 2014 so things are looking up. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Here we go again.... I got 55.9 out of a single charge on a 108 mile drive last summer (a MY2012 with 27,000 on the odometer).

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
View attachment 76498
So, how good is GM's battery technology? Well, just today I exceeded 46 miles on a single charge and beat my previous record of 45 miles. This is an old 2011 Volt with 48,000 miles on it!

Clearly GM's battery technology is rock solid.

Luv, Luv, Luv my Chevy Volt!!!

Cheers,
Eric J Edelen
Volt #3219
Congratulations! And don't call your 2011 Volt "old", because it is still a new car with just four years. My 2009 Equinox is still new for me with only 35,000 miles. My 1995 Regal is old at twenty, yet It still runs as good as new, but its 3.8L V6 is a gas guzzler for my local, low speed travels. If it was a hybrid, it could be much better. That is why I have high hopes for the Hybrid Malibu which may be the ONLY EV I can buy from my local GM dealer. And GM announced that it will be available late 2015, so I might buy it in December when my Regal is twenty-one years old.

·
Registered
249 Posts
48,000 total or EV miles?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My commute is 96 miles one way each day. I start out in low height mountains. For westerns, they probably would be called hills and I go down to close to sea level. The best I have attained so far is 56 miles on a single charge recently. With warmer weather coming on, I would suspect that I can get better than that. I am the turtle on the interstate driving between 55-58 mph. Notice the statement about over protective battery protection. I am figuring that I am using about 65% of the actual battery during my drives. I was wondering if the increased mileage on the 2016 Volt is from increasing the percentage of battery usage to a higher percentage and an actual increase in capacity of the battery? If it is not due to increased capacity, but a higher percent usage of the battery, would it be possible to alter the programming to allow for a higher percentage for older Volts? If they would go to an 80% usage, I figured that I could average about 67 miles for each charge. Thank, Ralph

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Boy,I have 1 hill that uses 5miles worth of battery power just to go 1 mile of road.By the time I get home.26.9 miles later,I use 28miles of battery.Going to work,I use 22miles worth.Hills around here are tough.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now that the weather is warmer here in Northeast PA I am getting mid-40's on my 2014. We had snow flurries yesterday, so by warmer I'm talking 40's and 50's during the day. Pretty hilly in my area but not much interstate driving. I purchased the car in late Fall so am looking forward to what it will do when we get into the 70's and 80's. The Volt is exceeding my expectations in every respect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts