GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the trendy Sugar House area of Salt Lake City, two white Volts, a Gen I and a Gen II were hooked up in the on-street public charging spaces for more than three hours. I was shopping in the area during that time and observed several EVs stop at those spaces, look at the Volt and make disparaging remarks about hybrids using the chargers as free parking spaces when EVs actually needed to charge.

Your Volt, your decision, but it does get noticed.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Technically this is illegal in AZ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my opinion here, and I'm not from that side of the country, but if I feel the need to charge publicly, and it's unoccupied, I will. On the flip side of that, there is a free public charger in a shopping plaza I frequent, since there is a store I service there. There is constantly a Tesla taking it up. The same car....every...single...time...:unsure:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Where I worked there was a Volt owner who showed up early and hogged the only charger available, all day, every day! This was back in the day when PHEVs were very rare, but still, it wasn't a way to win friends and influence people.

I don't charge my car beyond my home. The whole reason I bought the Volt was to avoid having to mess about with such things. In fact, I feel sorry for people who have to use them in their travels... It would be like me sitting in a public restroom stall and reading a book when others really needed "a port in a storm!"

Reactions: VanF and voltowner

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'm in Arizona, please explain. It's not legal for a PLUG IN Hybrid to use a public charging station? Or you mean to just park there WITHOUT plugging in?
[/URL]

. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.

B. If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.

C. A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Some free public chargers in my area have a 2 hour limit. Either they start costing or maybe stop charging. Sounds like a reasonable idea. Heck, 2 hours is roughly half charge on my Gen 1.

I see plenty of plug in hybrids with electric ranges equal or less than a Volt plugging into these. I'm doing just as much for the environment plugging in my Volt as someone plugging in their BEV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The regulations and etiquette of public charging evolve, but three hours and counting at a charger on the street in a high-turnover shopping area might be an employee taking advantage of the closest parking space to his work and public be damned. We'll never know all the circumstances in this instance; it was only that there were two white Volts which caught my attention.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Just my opinion here, and I'm not from that side of the country, but if I feel the need to charge publicly, and it's unoccupied, I will. On the flip side of that, there is a free public charger in a shopping plaza I frequent, since there is a store I service there. There is constantly a Tesla taking it up. The same car....every...single...time...:unsure:
Maybe it belongs to the bagger at the check-out counter <grins> He's killing two birds with one stone, free charging and a parking spot near the entrance.

Reactions: arbus

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 100k+ Miles
1,068 Posts
I never use public charging stations, as there is no reason to with the gas generator. I charge at home overnight, and if traveling I just use gas. IMO, it's also bad etiquette for a pure electric to use limited public chargers when you have enough fuel to get to your final (home) destination. It would truly suck for that person waiting for the charger in order to reach their destination.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Using free public chargers are not used by EVs on a road trip, they use CCS chargers. A free charger is to entice you to use the associated store or stores. So long as you are charging the car, you have every right to be charging your PHEV as an EV unless there is a sign limiting it to two hours (by which time your shopping should be done whether or not your car is charged). Your money is as good as anyone else. Using a free charger to charge your EV or PHEV for free because you live across the street is not acceptable. That's not what they are for. It's basically etiquette as they are not likely to look into it that much. Limiting it to two hours is easier to get a handle on just as ant time limited parking spot is.

Sounds like the AZ law states that any EV can be charged there or a PHEV that has got a special (alternative fuel plate) plate or sticker. I suspect that is an (optional?) extra charge item that they use to get extra money from what they would otherwise get from gas tax.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Sounds like the AZ law states that any EV can be charged there or a PHEV that has got a special (alternative fuel plate) plate or sticker. I suspect that is an (optional?) extra charge item that they use to get extra money from what they would otherwise get from gas tax.
They would not issue one for my Volt back in 2012-2013 time frame. The special placard or plate also allows single occupancy HOV lane.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A free public charger isn't going to make a dent in a full BEV range. I have as much right to charge as any tax payer especially when I have to pay a $200 surcharge on my annual vehicle registration. There is usually a 2 hours time limit on these chargers anyway. Why should anyone have any more right to get a free charge at a public facility. I believe there should be a timer to prevent people from hogging up a parking spot. But to say someone deserves to charge more because they have a full BEV is absurd.

·
Registered
115 Posts
[/URL]

. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.

B. If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.

C. A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.
EASY ARGUMENT IN COURT! I DRIVE EXCLUSIVELY ON ELECTRIC!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
No you don’t. Your Volt burns gas at least once every six weeks to maintain the engine, and because you surely have some gas in your tank (operation is limited to Propulsion Power Reduced when the tank is empty), then at least once a year the system will decide the gas is too old and will make you use the engine, even if the battery is fully charged, until you do something about the old gas.

So if your Volt doesn’t meet the Arizona definition of an Alternative Fuel Vehicle, it can’t park there.

Alternative Fuel Vehicle
An alternative fuel vehicle is one that is powered only by an alternative fuel. Arizona statute defines an alternative fuel as one of the following: Electric, Natural gas / CNG or LPG, Hydrogen, Blend of 70 percent alternative fuel, 30 percent gasoline (unavailable in Arizona), Solar

The Volt, capable of being powered by gas, does not qualify. My brief research seems to indicate that as recently as 2019, the Volt did qualify for the Blue Skies Energy Efficient Plate Program, but that program has since been discontinued to comply with federal regulations regarding HOV lane usage. Alternative fuel vehicles, including those totally electric powered, were not affected.

Because of the Volt’s ability to use gas, it appears that in Arizona, the Volt cannot legally park in EV Parking Spaces:

Electric Vehicle (EV) Parking Space Regulation
An individual is not allowed to stop, stand, or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specifically designated for parking and charging EVs unless the motor vehicle is an EV and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker. Violators may be subject to a civil penalty of at least $350. (Reference Arizona Revised Statutes 28-876)

It’s not really that easy to write a municipal law restricting who can park where. A "Low Emission/Fuel Efficient Vehicle " sign will likely be as effective as a "Compact Car Only" sign.

Here in Oregon, the legislature passed a law, effective in January 2016, designed to punish by fine those who park in parking spaces that were on premises open to the public and that were marked or signed as reserved for Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling. The law also required the vehicle to be engaged in the fueling process.

Perhaps the original intent was to enable the creation of electric car recharging spots, and rather than create a specific legal definition of "electric vehicle," the language of this law drew on current Oregon law that defines alternative fuel vehicles as motor vehicles that are able to use alternative fuels such as electricity, natural gas, ethanol, methanol, and propane.

Imagine, though, that you’ve parked your non-electric alternative fuel vehicle in an Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling spot equipped only for L2 recharging. Are you entitled to park there because you are "engaged in the fueling process" if you are exchanging a propane cylinder at a near-by store, or are purchasing a five-gallon can of ethanol to refuel your car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the trendy Sugar House area of Salt Lake City, two white Volts, a Gen I and a Gen II were hooked up in the on-street public charging spaces for more than three hours. I was shopping in the area during that time and observed several EVs stop at those spaces, look at the Volt and make disparaging remarks about hybrids using the chargers as free parking spaces when EVs actually needed to charge.

jack vines

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ever notice those long lines at the gas station? Imagine what it would be like if each car took a half hour to fuel up, instead of just 5 minutes. What we're seeing at the present charging stations might be just the beginning.
This can be a true statement if fuel maintenance mode (and EMM) is performed while the car is stationary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just because the Volt has petro run generator onboard doesn’t mean mean vehicle has petro on board. Longer range EV owners should get over it. I’ve had my volt since may 2012 and routinely see EV parking for free while they charge for 8 plus hours preventing other access to charge stations. As an FYI, my vehicle typically has no petro on board.

·
Registered
912 Posts
As a side note: Ohio EV $200 surcharge applies to all generation of Volts because it's considered an ELECTRIC vehicle.
"A passenger car powered wholly or in part by a battery cell energy system that can be recharged via an external source of electricity."

If a vehicle is being surcharged as an electric vehicle shouldn't it gets the same rights as an electric vehicle?

·
Registered
29 Posts

jack vines
I agree! Just for a few mile top-off, a plugin hybrid SHOULD NOT plug into
a public charger and possibly block a real EV that needs a boost to get home.
Be nice, Do unto others... etc.
Bob

1 - 20 of 46 Posts