GM Volt Forum banner

Just Purchased New Volt - New Ottawa Ownet

3504 34
I just purchased a new 2017 Volt Premier and will pick it up next week. Thanks to all the Ottawa Volt owners on this site since you were good ambassadors and were very influential in my decision. Can you let me know which settings I should immediately change when I get the car - based on this board I think I need to change gas usage to -10C, preconditioning on battery only and something about amp setting for charging. Let me know what settings I should be changing or an Ottawa environment and any suggestions on winter tires.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since you only have to recharge for 25 KM back at home , I wouldn't worry about the 12 or 8 amps ... 8 amps will be good ...
8 amps will recharge approximately 8 km per hours...( I know it's not exact measure) ....

The charger i have at home and am recommending it it is the chargepoint 32 amp with 25 feet of cable ... my charger is place approximately in the middle of the back/front wall ... this will allow me to charge outside the garage if needed too.
I did purcahse the one without the male plugin (direct connection in an electrical box)... I wanted to save some money but that did not work as my electrician charge me for an extra disconnect box(electrical code in Ontario) ... So if I were you I would install an NEMA 50 female and purchase the charger with a plugin...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Since you only have to recharge for 25 KM back at home , I wouldn't worry about the 12 or 8 amps ... 8 amps will be good ...
8 amps will recharge approximately 8 km per hours...( I know it's not exact measure) ....

The charger i have at home and am recommending it it is the chargepoint 32 amp with 25 feet of cable ... my charger is place approximately in the middle of the back/front wall ... this will allow me to charge outside the garage if needed too.
I did purcahse the one without the male plugin (direct connection in an electrical box)... I wanted to save some money but that did not work as my electrician charge me for an extra disconnect box(electrical code in Ontario) ... So if I were you I would install an NEMA 50 female and purchase the charger with a plugin...
When electrical equipment such as an AC compressor or an EVSE is hard wired, i.e. you can't just unplug it if you need to, a separate disconnect box/switch is also required by electrical code in the US.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Thanks - so I will just keep the factory setting then right and plug in at work as needed. I am having a Chargepoint being installed for home so the factory settings that will come with the Volt this week will recognize that as a level 2 charger, right?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks - so I will just keep the factory setting then right and plug in at work as needed. I am having a Chargepoint being installed for home so the factory settings that will come with the Volt this week will recognize that as a level 2 charger, right?
Yes, the Volt will recognize that the ChargePoint Level II EVSE is providing 240V power to the Volt and will set itself accordingly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes. That being said, once you have the car at home, you should set that as your default home location and setup your charging preferences in the settings. Otherwise, it will start charging as soon as you plug in. You will need to input the summer & winter Ottawa Hydro rate schedule, and then set a departure time for each day. You can then change the charging preferences to either finish charging by the departure time, or start as soon as you plug in, or wait until it is an off-peak time, etc.

You also mentioned setting the -10 ERDTT, it should be noted in the settings it is called "delayed" it doesn't show the temp.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Yes. That being said, once you have the car at home, you should set that as your default home location and setup your charging preferences in the settings. Otherwise, it will start charging as soon as you plug in. You will need to input the summer & winter Ottawa Hydro rate schedule, and then set a departure time for each day. You can then change the charging preferences to either finish charging by the departure time, or start as soon as you plug in, or wait until it is an off-peak time, etc.

You also mentioned setting the -10 ERDTT, it should be noted in the settings it is called "delayed" it doesn't show the temp.
The setting is noted in the 2017 Volt Owner's Manual, p.143 under Vehicle Settings => Climate and Air Quality => Engine Assist Heat: can be set to On or Deferred

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Thanks for all the help. So very much appreciated. I plan to set the volt to charge overnight during the week at home and then on Saturday and Sunday to charge immediately at plugin. I plan to set the Volt to charge immediate at plugin during the day Monday to Friday at work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just set the charger (chargerpoint) to charge during off peaks. and the car to charge immediately .... and if at any time you really want to start the charging immediately at any time .. plug the charger - unplug the charger - and replug right away....(thats at home) at work you will just need to plug in once....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I got my Volt on Friday and want to thank everybody for their help - I think I have it all optimized (climate control still needs tweaking). All your feedback made the setup this weekend easy and this car's range is by far more than 85km - I am already up to 95km range as it seems to add 1 km with every charge. One thing I have noticed is that I will need to get used to the people looking at my car in parking lots, etc. Already had to show the car to people who I caught peering into the windows, etc. GM could really sell a lot of these cars of they wanted to. It really is a great car.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,211 Posts
I got my Volt on Friday and want to thank everybody for their help - I think I have it all optimized (climate control still needs tweaking). All your feedback made the setup this weekend easy and this car's range is by far more than 85km - I am already up to 95km range as it seems to add 1 km with every charge. One thing I have noticed is that I will need to get used to the people looking at my car in parking lots, etc. Already had to show the car to people who I caught peering into the windows, etc. GM could really sell a lot of these cars of they wanted to. It really is a great car.
23C, auto, eco. Done. No tweaking necessary. ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Friendly reminder, you're not "adding" another km every charge. The range readout is an estimate, lovingly referred to by EV drivers as the "Guess-O-Meter" (GOM). Looks like your driving technique and commute is "efficient" that it's slowly affecting the GOM's algorithms and thus, GOM is predicting more and more range. Congrats on the new Volt!

I'm jealous about your Volt's attention. I only get a few "ooh, it's pretty" but no serious discussion about it. I think I got some road rage a few weeks back related to my Volt...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a new 2017 Volt Premier and will pick it up next week. Thanks to all the Ottawa Volt owners on this site since you were good ambassadors and were very influential in my decision. Can you let me know which settings I should immediately change when I get the car - based on this board I think I need to change gas usage to -10C, preconditioning on battery only and something about amp setting for charging. Let me know what settings I should be changing or an Ottawa environment and any suggestions on winter tires.
Congrats! I'm in the market for a new Volt in Ottawa right now. Would you mind sharing where you purchased from and the price you paid? Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I ended up getting it from Surgenor Barrhaven but I found both them and Tubman were the best for negotiating some deals. In fact, I would recommend going to Tubman if they have a Volt in stock and they do not need to go and bring one in from another dealer since they have the biggest discount. Myers was not willing to negotiate off sticker price (especially the Orleans location) and the rural ones like Kemptville also did not negotiate. My trim level came to ~47K. Tubman was willing to take $1600 of MSRP + no etching/admin fees for a Volt they had on hand - that dropped to $750 off when they needed to go to another dealer. Surgenor Barrhaven was $1000 off either scenario - but charged for admin but I got the etching off. Then you will also get the $1000 Visa GM discount. if you are doing a tradein, Tubman will not put the car up for auction to see if you can get a better deal than what they offer whereas Surgenor was willing to. Let me know if there is any other info needed or if you want to know sales rep names at either location I dealt with

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up getting it from Surgenor Barrhaven but I found both them and Tubman were the best for negotiating some deals. In fact, I would recommend going to Tubman if they have a Volt in stock and they do not need to go and bring one in from another dealer since they have the biggest discount. Myers was not willing to negotiate off sticker price (especially the Orleans location) and the rural ones like Kemptville also did not negotiate. My trim level came to ~47K. Tubman was willing to take $1600 of MSRP + no etching/admin fees for a Volt they had on hand - that dropped to $750 off when they needed to go to another dealer. Surgenor Barrhaven was $1000 off either scenario - but charged for admin but I got the etching off. Then you will also get the $1000 Visa GM discount. if you are doing a tradein, Tubman will not put the car up for auction to see if you can get a better deal than what they offer whereas Surgenor was willing to. Let me know if there is any other info needed or if you want to know sales rep names at either location I dealt with
Thanks so much for your post, this is really helpful.

Actually, Surgenor Barrhaven is the closest to me, and is who I'd like to deal with. I called them yesterday and they don't have any Volts in stock, but said they would bring one in from their Gatineau dealer (who has 6 or 7) for me to test drive, which I thought was very nice of them.

How did you manage to get the $1,600 MSRP discount? Did you just ask for the best price, or did you ask them to beat another dealer?

I received a bunch of information from a guy on redflagdeals who purchased a Volt in Toronto recently. He managed to get $2,400 off the MSRP, but I'm guessing in Ottawa I will have less leverage, plus there is very limited availability since they're no longer taking orders which might also affect my ability to bargain with them.

Did you lease? I'm looking to do a 3 year lease.

I do have a trade-in. I've never heard of this auction scenario. I guess the dealer offers a price and then if the auction price is higher they honour that price? How does that work?

Never heard of the etching either, guess I'm a bit out of touch on new car sales.

If you could PM me with the name of your sales rep and any other information that could be helpful I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Sent you a PM with the details. I don't bother negotiating with dealers over $500 here or there - its a waste of time. I reach out to several dealers and let them know that they have one shot at an offer and the person with the best offer when comparing apples with apples I will go with. I also never negotiate the trade in until settled on the cost for a new vehicle. Remember that the trade-in lowers the overall tax paid on a new car so you also want to ensure you go with a dealer that will give you a good offer on the trade in so even if you have settled on a price, if you don't like your trade in offer, then walk away from the deal.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.