GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Jerry (AKA: Barnacules) and I produce the Barnacules Nerdgasm YouTube channel (http://barnnerd.com) and I recently purchased a 2013 Chevy Volt for my wife to replace her aging 174k mile Lexus RX300 and she absolutely loved it. We ended up purchasing it right after the test drive without even trying any other cars because the slick dealer worked his magic and did his job and kept me at the table :p

Here is a video of my test drive. I will be doing a full review in a few weeks so please subscribe if you want to be notified when that video comes out! So far she is getting around 104mpg doing her normal daily driving (which is a lot!) and achieved 42.9 miles from a single charge on one of the days.

Hope you guys enjoy the video,
Jerry

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
A fun watch, I think you and your wife will have fun with the Volt. Thanks for the smiles, the Volt will return the favor.

Many warn about doing a test drive for just this reason, you will want to buy the car, haha.

Addressing some of your comments:

• In 28 months (34k miles), here's what I have had done:
    • Tire rotations (do my own)
    • One oil change at 24 months (free by the dealer)
    • One new hose at 33k miles (free under warranty).
  • Stop using brakes and shift into Low instead. Rarely a need for brakes.
  • 273 lb-ft of torque at 0 RPM means you can beat most from a stoplight. But ya, they can catch up.
  • Road noise is more apparent because there's no vroom vroom vroom ICE.
  • You can go 101 mph on battery.
  • In the winter my 50 mile battery range drops to about 35 miles due to heater, cold, etc.
  • If you keep the green ball centered in the dash display, you can easily get 40 miles on battery maybe 50 or 52. Racing, not so much.
  • You can get am MP3 file to play if you want vroom, vroom noise, :)
  • The A/C is very efficient actually. The heater? No as much. Basically a very big toaster with a fan, haha.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Welcome to the family. The Volt is so good it sells it self. But it only gets better as you learn and master the new paradigm. Remember the Volt responds best and rewards your highest range if you understand and manage the THREE T's - Terrain, Temperature and Technique.

While a Level II EVSE isn't necessary for most of us, it's a nice addition to your garage and you will soon appreciate the super fast charging it affords.

Miles of EV miles to you and your wife.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the warm welcome guys! Check out my many other videos too if you're into technology. It's what I do!

·
Registered
160 Posts
This was great - nice work! Enjoy the Volt!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice video, your sense of humor cracks me up. I've had my Volt for nearly 3 months now. I still wake up excited to drive it. I started out getting roughly 40-42 miles per charge, now I regularly get 49-52. Drive in "L" and keep your tires plump. Look forward to your future review.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I hope you change the charge rate to 12 amps if you use the supplied 120V charge cord, well if your outlet can handle it. Any modern outlet should be able to though.

Welcome to the Voltec world!

PS: It may be a chevy, but it doesn't break down every month. ;) The only thing that has gone wrong for me in 13 months with my Volt is the charge cord died, but it was under warranty, just a simple replacement.

PSPS: If you need to get another Voltec, maybe you should test drive the Cadillac ELR when it comes out in early 2014.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome to the family....
While a Level II EVSE isn't necessary for most of us, it's a nice addition to your garage and you will soon appreciate the super fast charging it affords.

Miles of EV miles to you and your wife.
Welcome!

BAZINGA is correct about chargers. If you can accomplish all of your desired errands on the OEM charger, life is good.

But I must add that a L2 charger can change your Volt experience.

We plodded along with the OEM charger for 5 months before taking the plunge for a L2. Being active seniors, it allows us to accomplish far more errands in EV-mode per day, thus lowering our local operating cost (we also take road trips where gas is used nearly exclusively) even more.

We're currently blessed with lower-cost electric rates and gas prices than many parts of the country. At 38.XX MPGcs, we're averaging ~9.4 cents/mile when using gas and ~2.7 cents/mile on electricity. Edit: (For what few kWh we pay for after solar production)

We lead busy lives with parent care, jobs, our kids and grands, so every mile that we can get done on battery is money that stays in our pockets. If you look at the Daily Driving Histogram (Daily Driving tab) in my Volt Stats, you'll see what looks like what happens in many large cities - a downtown skyline and the OTHER downtown/uptown skyline that springs up on the outer edge of the city. The cluster on the left is mostly from L1 use and the one on the right is since adding L2.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Good video! You know we bought or first sight unseen from a dealer 2,000 miles away and had it shipped.

You are now embarking on the big learning curve. Looks like the 2013 are getting 50 miles per charge without doing anything too special. Driving in low with the good regen helps a lot I think, IMHO.

Really if your active drivers a L2 charger will help a lot. Wait till you figure out about solar and charging an electric car! LMAO you are now part of the reVOLTution.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you are a sucker for hi tech and test drives (like me) do not test drive a Tesla S! And as noted several of use eagerly await the Cadillac ELR. Same hardware but different software ups the horsepower from 149 to 207. But yeah, it gets pretty anemic above about about 60MPH.

Also do try Low and one pedal driving! It reduces some of the strangeness of light brake application in Drive. So long as the green ball stays green is pretty much all regen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are a sucker for hi tech and test drives (like me) do not test drive a Tesla S! And as noted several of use eagerly await the Cadillac ELR. Same hardware but different software ups the horsepower from 149 to 207. But yeah, it gets pretty anemic above about about 60MPH.

Also do try Low and one pedal driving! It reduces some of the strangeness of light brake application in Drive. So long as the green ball stays green is pretty much all regen.
I sat in a Tesla Model S the other day at a company event and all I could think was "WOW". I would love to get one if I had the money for sure. The trunk space is amazing, range is amazing, interior is amazing. But it was slightly uncomfortable to sit in the drivers seat with my massive nerd boner hitting the steering column :p haha, it was that good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts