GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the site. Just ordered a 2015 Chevy Volt with supplier pricing. Black, Black Leather Interior with White Accents. Nav and Bose, with the 17in rims with black inserts, and both safety packages. I am pretty excited to get rid of my gas guzzler and go more fuel efficient. Question I have is do I really need a 240 charger or can I get by with the 110?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, you can for sure get by with 120 (I know a lot of people still call it 110). If you plan on charging overnight, 120 will get you by just fine. Here is the breakdown for the Volt.

With 120 expect 4 miles per hour charging

With 240 expect 10 miles per hour charging

Based on that...you can decide.

Welcome to the best car on the planet club.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
We use the 240 every day at home for obvious reasons and keep the 120 as a backup, or for long road trips. You'l hear a lot of praise for Clipper Creek EVSEs - from me too.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Would you have paid 1.5% more for your Volt if you could get the 240 charger option? That's how much a $500 charger costs on a $35,000 purchase. Personally I think it was well worth the price and mine cost $1,000. Also, I like keeping the 120 in the trunk so that I can use it when I'm away from home. Usually I only charge at night when the 120 would be fine. But on those days when you leave, come home and leave a few hours later it's nice to have a full charge, which only comes with the 240.

·
8,680 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome.

Can you get by and stay mostly electric on 110V?
Certainly.

Is a 220V EVSE worth the ~$500?
Absolutely, for me anyway. Preconditioning without draining battery power, a quick charge between work and evening plans.

But as always, YMMV. If you don't drive very far, you might never gain anything from faster charging. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also have a 2015 coming in within the next couple days with the supplier pricing. Just turned in a leased 2013. I did fine with the 110 charging although my circumstances allowed that. Try the 110 for a time and then you'll know if the total cost of a 220 is worth it. It's nice to have but how long will your "pay back" period be....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I will try the 110v for a month or so and see how I do. I will probably get a 240 here really soon. At my workplace we have a charging station there as well. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely depends on how many electric miles you use per day. I have a Bosch L2 charger and I usually have 5 miles left on the battery when I get home. So I will charge for an hour to get 10 more miles in case I need to run around town. After that it charges in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Also have a 2015 coming in within the next couple days with the supplier pricing. Just turned in a leased 2013. I did fine with the 110 charging although my circumstances allowed that. Try the 110 for a time and then you'll know if the total cost of a 220 is worth it. It's nice to have but how long will your "pay back" period be....
Payback is a factor for many yes as running a 240V service for the EVSE is part of the cost.

One less talked about advantage of faster charging is being able to go to bed at night with a full charge (and an unplugged car, even if the manual suggests leaving it plugged in). If a lightning storm comes up while we sleep. the car's isolated. There aren't a lot of stories of folks having their cars thrashed by lightning surges, but it does happen.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have a GE WattStation Level 2 EVSE. I ordered it the same week I started looking for a Volt based on dialog here.

Advantages
- precondition the cabin and still have a full charge
- better build quality
- hanging on the wall ready (with cord handling)
- keeps the OEM in pristine condition
- locked to the wall
- faster charging for weekend and evening top-off
- future proof (Will do 7400 watts. Volt charges at 3300w.)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You CAN use the included L1 120 volt EVSE that comes with the Volt. But the Voltec charger is not very good build quality. It also requires manually changing the charge rate from 8 to 12 amps EVERY time you charge. (It defaults back to 8 each time you charge.)

In any case PLEASE READ THIS FAQ on charging: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48937-120V-Charging-FAQ

I would recommend an L2 EVSE. It's much faster and more convenient. Clipper Creek makes some affordable models that people here seem to like.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Depending on your electrical / electronic abilities you could build an open EVSE for around $250 120/240V auto selecting, you can build it with a display or without, display is very nice. After charging both I would not just do 120V, since you will find you want to run errands gas free etc. If you can't install it where you live you can build or buy a Quick 240V and still charge 240 V. I just built a Quick 240V for under $60.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Depending on your electrical / electronic abilities you could build an open EVSE for around $250 120/240V auto selecting, you can build it with a display or without, display is very nice. After charging both I would not just do 120V, since you will find you want to run errands gas free etc. If you can't install it where you live you can build or buy a Quick 240V and still charge 240 V. I just built a Quick 240V for under $60.
Please note that home made EVSE's are not UL approved. If a fire results from a failure of the "homebrew" EVSE... Your homeowners insurance may not cover the fire. They may declare it negligence. Not saying you can't build a perfectly safe EVSE at home... Just letting you know there is an additional risk. Considering you can get a UL approved Clipper Creek L2 for under $400... You might want to think about the insurance & safety ramifications.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check your local utility for deals on L2 chargers. Here in Michigan Consumers Energy will pay $2500 towards a L2 charger including installation by an electrical contractor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered the GE Wattstation. It looks good and it was on sale at Home Depot.....Now I just need a car to plug

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hello all,

New to the site. Just ordered a 2015 Chevy Volt with supplier pricing. Black, Black Leather Interior with White Accents. Nav and Bose, with the 17in rims with black inserts, and both safety packages. I am pretty excited to get rid of my gas guzzler and go more fuel efficient. Question I have is do I really need a 240 charger or can I get by with the 110?
Nice car . How much of a discount does supplier pricing offer ?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
<snip> There aren't a lot of stories of folks having their cars thrashed by lightning surges, but it does happen.
I'm curious to read about these events. Do you have a source? A quick google search didn't turn up anything.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I'm curious to read about these events. Do you have a source? A quick google search didn't turn up anything.
Search "lightning strike" on this forum. Example:

The car and the EVSE were totaled. The insurance company stopped attempting to find the problem after the BCM replacement failed to cure it. The car is still sitting on the insurance company's salvage lot. It could be a real bargain for someone.

I am now driving a 2013 Viridean Joule.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts