GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share this. I received my SPX Voltec charger over the weekend and got it installed yesterday. My brother's coworker is a electrician on the side so he hooked me up. He charged $30 and another $12 for 20 amp breaker. I sometime would go out and come home a little late and would not get a full charge in the morning. I have to say, charging in 4 hours or less is a hell of a lot better than 8-10 hours. I highly recommend a 240v charger for you people still on the fence about it. I love my volt even more now!

2013 Topaz Metallic, Safety 1, Safety 2, Leather Trim, Bose, Polished Rims, Nav

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mine came in Friday and I'm waiting for my Dad who lives about 45 min away to have time to guide me through the install. He has a lot more experience with electrical panels and drilling holes in the side of the house than I do so I'm kinda just waiting. I go in the garage once in a while and look at the unit, which is very elegant. Only once so far did I not have enough time for a full charge before going out the next morning but that one time put me on gas later in the day. I HATE USING GAS! Can't wait to get mine installed!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Definately "night and day"! I notice it especially when I come home from work with a depleted battery (every day) and I need to do some driving after dinner. Just an hour on the charger puts some useful miles in the battery.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed my Voltec over the weekend. The improvement is like night and day, making the Volt much more of a 'real' car driving experience. Driving the Volt is no longer so much of a novelty because the faster charging means more available electric miles and a lot less electric 'range anxiety'.

I concur, the 240v charger really enhances the potential of full EV range.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you calculate that a fully depleted battery will take four hours on the 240v charger for, say, 40 miles of battery operation, that's roughly 10 miles for every hour of charge time.

Just that one hour's charge for an additional 10 miles of battery (as opposed to only getting five miles on 110v at the same charging time) can mean the difference between electric or gas operation.

While $500 for that time savings is expensive, once experienced, I would imagine most people will quickly realize the time and expense was justified.

In fact, I'd be interested in knowing if there has been anyone who felt the expense and effort of installing a 240v charger wasn't worth it.

For me it's well worth it. Too often I don't get home in time and did not get a full charge by morning. That and also forgetting to change level to 12 amps does not help either. With the 240v, I no longer worry if I stay out a little late, also the few times I was tipsy and forgot to change the charge level. For circumstance, I'm not regretting it at all. Plus I paid $43 for installation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My SPX Voltec charger is sitting in my hallway, waiting for the electrical company to start the install. They're coming out tomorrow to start the work! Can't wait!

My install was a little more then yours... $2,100 total, less the $530 for the charger, but my electrical company reimburses me, so I'll only be out of pocket about $100!

I am really ready to take full advantage of my Volt! Haven't been able to charge it at home, as I live in an apartment building, and there aren't any outlets close enough (Tried the nearest one, with an extension cord, and it wouldn't work)

·
Registered
151 Posts
My SPX Voltec charger is sitting in my hallway, waiting for the electrical company to start the install. They're coming out tomorrow to start the work! Can't wait!

My install was a little more then yours... $2,100 total, less the $530 for the charger, but my electrical company reimburses me, so I'll only be out of pocket about $100!

I am really ready to take full advantage of my Volt! Haven't been able to charge it at home, as I live in an apartment building, and there aren't any outlets close enough (Tried the nearest one, with an extension cord, and it wouldn't work)
This reminds me of the whole medical insurance scam. You need to see the doctor. He is going to spend 5 minutes with you. He can charge you $25 for his time.

Oh, Mr. Patient, I see you have insurance. Well, then the cost is $75 for the office visit. You pay me $20 - you save $5! I get $8.23 from your insurance company after they discount my $75 charge to $28.23. They charge your employer $31.13, you paid $20 so they collect $11.13 from your employer.

If you had paid for the visit it would cost $25. Instead, because you save $5 the visit costs everyone $6.13 more.

The 240v charge scam is the same thing - only in this case instead of you paying an electrician $200 for the install it costs you $100 and everyone else pays someone $1400 of which $1300 is completely unnecessary. . . .

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 240v charge scam is the same thing - only in this case instead of you paying an electrician $200 for the install it costs you $100 and everyone else pays someone $1400 of which $1300 is completely unnecessary. . . .
I'm not sure if you're speaking of my situation specifically, or if you're speaking in generalities...

In my specific case ,the electrician is running a conduit and wires from a meter located on a ground level parking structure, he has to core through a brick wall to get into a stairwell, where he then brings the conduit and wires down to a sub garage, then has to run the conduit for an additional 170'! He also has to open up the meter box and run wires inside a hot meter box (he can't turn the meters off, because that would mean four apartments are without power while he's doing the work)

In addition, he'll need to install two junction boxes, all secured to a concrete deck.

He then needs to secure the Voltec Level 2 charger to a concrete column. The company will also be paying $100 for permits, plus additional money for their materials. Not sure, but I believe because of the distance, they need to use larger wire, which is also more expensive.

Easily a two man job for a full day, and certainly worth the approx. $1570 they'll be getting.

I had three other contractors, all of whom told me there's no way they could do the work, and keep it within $100-200 out of pocket on my end ($2,100-2,200 total for the entire job, with charger). One of the other quotes was for over $3,600.

They've also already come out to my building twice, once to meet with L.A. DWP's man, and a 2nd time for a pre-inspection with the electrical inspector.

They'll have to return for an electrical inspection, once the work is done.

Nobody, including tax payers, are getting ripped off on my job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts