GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was blown away when I watched the documentary - "Who Killed The Electric Car." GM's EV1 was a great looking car. I think better looking than the volt or the cars Ford & Honda are coming out with soon. I don't want some little fart-cart-crappy-looking thing! If you are going to make a new vehicle GM, why not make a cool looking one like the EV1 body style? Man, there is something so fishy about this whole EV1 thing.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, cool movie

But "fishy" well, yes and no. GM did not "want" to build the EV1, they did it because of California law. Then they did too good a job of building the EV1. Then the law got dropped (with a little help from Exxon). Seems like a lot of the design from the EV1 lives on in the Volt as well as a lot of the original designers. And just one final comment in (partial) defense of GM: why did they want the EV1 to fail? Simple they would have lost a TON of money on it. We don't know for sure, but a good estimate was a cost of $100,000 per EV1 with a target selling price of $30,000.
But we can thank the EV1 for a lot of the content of the Volt.

·
Registered
208 Posts
GM built the Impact concept on its own and then CARB "rewarded" them for their green initiative by forcing them to move the idea to production prematurely. I think it was another case of "no good deed goes unpunished".

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh dear Lord! Here we go with that EV-1 crap again!:mad: Please, let the past go!

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
GM built the Impact concept on its own and then CARB "rewarded" them for their green initiative by forcing them to move the idea to production prematurely. I think it was another case of "no good deed goes unpunished".
You nailed it. Over-regulation killed the electric car.

If you put an EV-1 right next to a Chevy Volt, you will see that the Volt is a far more attractive vehicle.

As for WKTEC, it was a very influential movie, just like An Inconvenient Truth. Likewise, their information is flawed and skewed, so their value extends little beyond their influence.

·
Registered
382 Posts
E

Do you mean Lyle? I suspect we will get a rehash of the Tesla Motors saga, as well as Aptera's saga. The DOE money will play a big role, so Chu will be in it. Fisker should be.
No, it was originally between Tesla and Volt several years ago when movie production started, but with all the Johnny-come-latelies, there may be more stars (note that the producer is a Tesla-owner).

-SPARKZZ

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh dear Lord! Here we go with that EV-1 crap again! Please, let the past go!
C'mon, give Tim a break. All of this is relatively new and he's just coming where he think he can educate himself from the people who know about it better than the average person.

Yes, Tim GM was forced to build the EV1 by the state of California who saw what GM was working on for the future and said build it now or cease all GM sales in largest state in America. I saw the movie too and I was outraged too at first but it is one-sided to be honest. It cost a lot of money to build making it impossible to sell at a profit and remember GM is a business that exists to earn a profit. The killer was the impractically heavy lead battery similar to the batteries in our cars today but they had to be much bigger since they weren't just starting the engine for 3 seconds, they were running the whole car anytime the car was being driven. Because of this it had to be a 2-seater. I'll concur GM with help from the oil industry took a take no prisoners approach to trying to end the program as soon as they could but for understandable reasons; it was a money pit.

What I cannot reconcile --and maybe somebody can offer some clarification--GM engineering created a phase 2 of the EV1 with a more lightweight battery (Nh something or the other I think) and instead of making a more practical next year's model that could have been a profit-maker, GM sold the patent rights to the technology to the oil industry who had every reason in the world to bury it permanently as it would compete with oil. The good news is GM has a huge head start on electric cars because of the EV1, which will use even a better battery, lithium ion. Its not the perfect solution but I believe once its on the roads better, longer lasting, more lightweight and cheaper batteries will be created and/or a cheap way to generate electricity on the fly with hydrogen.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No, it was originally between Tesla and Volt several years ago when movie production started, but with all the Johnny-come-latelies, there may be more stars (note that the producer is a Tesla-owner).

-SPARKZZ
When I posted this a few days ago, I didn't say too much since I didn't know if the producer wanted the publicity. From the story below, I guess he does. It still looks like Tesla and VOLT are in the lead . . . .

Here's the full story:

Chicago trader trying to get people charged up about Tesla
Melissa Harris CHICAGO CONFIDENTIAL
January 10, 2010
A Tesla Roadster is an electric sports car. Base price: $109,000. It hits 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

The cars have a cult following among high-net-worth geeks. Chicago securities trader Stefano Durdic, 42, could be considered one of the cult leaders.

He owns one of the 900 or so Teslas on the road worldwide and is 25th in line for the California company's next model, a $49,000 "sedan." (It sounds like a Buick, but the car looks like a Maserati.) He's invested "a small amount of money" in Tesla and is spending about $1.2 million bankrolling filmmaker Chris Paine's next documentary, "The Revenge of the Electric Car."

This week, Durdic, the co-founder of the Speed Trading Group, will be in Detroit tagging along with Paine as he interviews GM exec Robert Lutz and Tesla CEO Elon Musk for the movie.

"When you're in the documentary business, you need to find people like Stefano, who are part philanthropist, part evangelist and part very savvy businessman," said Paine, who found critical success with 2006's "Who Killed the Electric Car?" a biting look at GM's decision to impound its electric EV1s in the 1990s.

Durdic, the evangelist, was on full display last week. He and other Chicago-area Tesla owners gathered in the spotless service center (no oil, no mess) at the company's new dealership on Grand Avenue near the Kennedy Expressway. Durdic rapidly fired questions to the Tesla staff even though he knew all of the answers.

"I wanted to get the conversation rolling," he said. And Durdic wanted nothing more than to get me in a car.

"You've got to take a ride," he said repeatedly. And when I returned from a trip around the block, he asked, "How was it? Did they really stomp on it?"

He's smitten with the cars, but, unlike some of the other owners, he can't quite explain why. (One purchaser, a doctor, wanted to buy a license plate that bluntly expressed his thoughts about oil, but figured the state wouldn't go along with his expletive. He settled for the more politically correct "No Oil." Another, the owner of a meat-packing company, drives a Hummer and, for the most part, keeps the Tesla in the garage as a collector's item.)

"A few people driving $100,000 all-electric sports cars is not going to make the world a better place, but if these cars spur technology and acceptance of electric vehicles, that is the start I am referring to," Durdic said. "I call it the influence of affluence."

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Oh dear Lord! Here we go with that EV-1 crap again!:mad: Please, let the past go!
+1 and x2! And an enthusiastic head-nod to boot.

EDIT: Just read Roger881's post #9. Just to clarify, my comment isn't meant to be directed at anybody in particular. It's just that over time, I've built up a serious case of "just build the EV1 instead" fatigue. And whatever sins that the "GM of the past" may (or may not) be guilty of, "GM of the present" seems to be trying hard to do it right/smarter this time around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 and x2! And an enthusiastic head-nod to boot.

EDIT: Just read Roger881's post #9. Just to clarify, my comment isn't meant to be directed at anybody in particular. It's just that over time, I've built up a serious case of "just build the EV1 instead" fatigue. And whatever sins that the "GM of the past" may (or may not) be guilty of, "GM of the present" seems to be trying hard to do it right/smarter this time around.
That's understandable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts