GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well, I just had the Bridgestone DriveGuard Run Flats installed on the Volt. I took the car on local and state highways, over smooth and broken road service. To all those that say it makes the car ride harsher, you have not experienced this tire. I had to really concentrate to feel any difference in ride quality. Maybe, maybe a slightly heavier feel of tire rebound over pot holes. But this tire is slightly heavier, and of course, the sidewall construction is different. On intact surfaces or highways, I could not discern any difference in ride quality from the OEM tires. The noise level is the same. I had to concentrate to try to see if there are any differences. I asked my wife when we went to the supermarket what she thought of the ride. She said "same as before." The one thing I do have now that I didn't have before is no flat tire anxiety, no flat beds, no OnStar towing waits, and my dog Harry doesn't have to ride shot gun in a tow truck!

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
What size, OEM or a tick bigger? Where did you buy them? I'll be in the market soon

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for reporting on it, OP.

Driveguard is available in OEM size, has 12/32 tread depth, comes with a 60k mile warranty and weighs in at 28lbs.

They are the newest runflats to hit the market. Supposedly engineered to ride similarly to their Turanza line. The reviews have been pretty good to date, although these are all magazine-type reviews. I hope to see more real world user reviews soon.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The big question here is how many miles of EV range will you loose with these run flat tires. Please let us know how how many fewer miles of range you get...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The big question here is how many miles of EV range will you loose with these run flat tires. Please let us know how how many fewer miles of range you get...
This is a LRR(Low Rolling Resistance) tire. I really don't expect an appreciable difference in mileage. But I will keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
After reading about these on Tire Rack, they may very well be my next set of tires. This type of tire would be perfect for the Volt if all holds well by having little affect on driving range, noise, or handling. This seems to be a good choice. I am not in need of a set just yet with only 10k on the Volt, but I will keep these in mind.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
I updated our Spare Tire Guide: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48058-Volt-Spare-Tire-Guide

Bridgestone DriveGuard Run Flats are available in 215/55-17 OEM size, have 12/32 tread depth, come with a 60k mile warranty and weigh in at 28lbs., 9 lbs. heavier than the 19 lb. OEM tires. Expect perhaps a 5-8 mile decrease in battery mileage and MPG (similar to worse than winter tires) in exchange for reduced risk of needing a tow to a dealer in some situations. Run flats often end up sacrificing themselves to do their job. In other words, you may likely end up needing a new run flat tire by the time you get to the tire store/dealer. You swap a "tow plus tire patch" for a "drive to dealer plus new tire" (assuming they have one).

Run Flats are not impervious to punctures, instead they are "designed to offer almost the same riding comfort as conventional tires while providing temporary extended mobility for a distance of 50 miles at up to 50 mph even after a puncture has allowed complete air pressure loss". Stiffer sidewalls allow this at the expense of some ride and handling. The unyielding sidewalls of run flat tires transmit most impact forces to the wheels rather than soaking up impact like radial sidewalls do. This makes it more likely for impacts (think potholes) to bend or crack the wheel. Also important to note, if the sidewall is severely damaged or punctured, the run-flat is rendered useless. You'll need a tow and a new tire just like you would with the OEM tires.

Some who have had run flats report they are more expensive (these cost ~$50 more per tire), the tread doesn't last as long, and they don't handle as well. We'll keep an eye out for Volt driver feedback on these Bridgestones.

·
8,680 Posts
Huh. We never had a real run flat option for the Volt before. It looks like a pretty good match - 9 extra pounds, a slightly lower wear rating, and a couple fewer revolutions per mile, but very close.

Not cheap, but not dreadfully expensive. I'll have to think about it. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had bad experience with run flats on my BMW. I picked up 3 nails in about 2 years. The shops won't plug run flats.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
I had bad experience with run flats on my BMW. I picked up 3 nails in about 2 years. The shops won't plug run flats.
Yes, a run flat puncture = new tire. What you are avoiding is a tow. Whereas a standard tire can often be plugged/patched, a run-flat is a throw-away. So it's a trade-off. I still think a space-saver spare is the way to go for long trips if you have a concern about getting towed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, a run flat puncture = new tire. What you are avoiding is a tow. Whereas a standard tire can often be plugged/patched, a run-flat is a throw-away. So it's a trade-off. I still think a space-saver spare is the way to go for long trips if you have a concern about getting towed.
Good point. If the run flat has had enough miles on it, maybe a fun flat puncture = 2 new tires? Since you can't just mix a brand new one in with the other 3 older ones?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Today I replaced my OEM Goodyears with Michelin Defenders. These tires have the best tread ware warranty in the industry at 80-90,000 depending on speed rating. Two months ago we put these tires on our '95 Civic Hybrid with absolutely no loss in MPG (average 45-48mpg) to replace Michelin AquaEdge. The Defenders are noticeably quitter than the OEMs in the Volt and the old Micehlins is the Hybrid. Also considered the MXM4 and MXV4 at lower cost but lower milage warrantee and which have similar ratings and benefits as the Defender.
I have a CTS compact spare when I drive a distance from home for assurance and AAA for roadside service which is probably better than OnStar. I'll let the group know how the milage is in a few weeks. Taking a trip to So. CA next week which will be a good break in for them to get a good efficiency reading when I return. (There goes my 103 lifetime MPG)
I would be concerned with the milage sacrifice with the very heavy run flats.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Well, I just had the Bridgestone DriveGuard Run Flats installed on the Volt. I took the car on local and state highways, over smooth and broken road service. To all those that say it makes the car ride harsher, you have not experienced this tire. I had to really concentrate to feel any difference in ride quality. Maybe, maybe a slightly heavier feel of tire rebound over pot holes. But this tire is slightly heavier, and of course, the sidewall construction is different. On intact surfaces or highways, I could not discern any difference in ride quality from the OEM tires. The noise level is the same. I had to concentrate to try to see if there are any differences. I asked my wife when we went to the supermarket what she thought of the ride. She said "same as before." The one thing I do have now that I didn't have before is no flat tire anxiety, no flat beds, no OnStar towing waits, and my dog Harry doesn't have to ride shot gun in a tow truck!
I would avoid driving over potholes as much as possible. :)

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Having read and participated in many on-line conversation re this issue, I still have a problem with someone placing a 35 to 40 pound tire/wheel, jack and tire iron in the hatch area of a vehicle. My concern is how do you PROPERLY SECURE them in case of a collision. All those parts/pieces become projectiles that will kill occupants.

And rope, cord or bungee cords don't cut it. Maybe this is my 24 years of military service, but safety always comes first.

·
Registered
827 Posts
And rope, cord or bungee cords don't cut it. Maybe this is my 24 years of military service, but safety always comes first.
Been wondering myself. I think the closest thing to "good" would be to screw it down to the floor board that separates the cargo area from the electronics underneath it -- akin to how spares are typically secured onto vehicles that have one. At the very least, it increases the surface area -- the floor board is too big to shoot through to the cabin compartment, versus just the spare by itself.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Why cant they patch a run flat?

And, frankly, people can hypothesize about lugging around spares all they want but how can one safely, securely jack up a Volt to change a tire, when there are no outer frame notches to secure an approved jack, and the proper undercarriage lift points are difficult to even see let alone access under the car? You would need all this extra, heavy gear, plus locking safety stands, I would say.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Why cant they patch a run flat?

And, frankly, people can hypothesize about lugging around spares all they want but how can one safely, securely jack up a Volt to change a tire, when there are no outer frame notches to secure an approved jack, and the proper undercarriage lift points are difficult to even see let alone access under the car? You would need all this extra, heavy gear, plus locking safety stands, I would say.
There are four outer frame notches for a scissor jack. They are pictured in the manual. It does require a jack with a "saddle" that fits the edge of the frame, but most late model GM cars use this type of jack.

Volt Jack Points.jpg Jack Flange.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts