GM Volt Forum banner

Just installed ClipperCreek LCS-25

7295 12
I just finished installing my new ClipperCreek charger yesterday. It was a beautiful sight seeing my Volt charge off of it for the first time. I guess this is my 6-month anniversary gift to my Volt (4/19).

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Automotive design Vehicle Car
Room Electrical wiring

Stephen
2013 Summit White Volt w/black cloth seats and white accents
Safety packages 1 & 2
OEM Sport Wheels
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,088 Posts
Very nice set up, Stephen! I've had mine for a year and a half.

Those who don't have a level 2 charger would certainly install one if they knew how much nicer it is. With the LCS-25 on sale, this is the perfect time to get one.

· Registered
95 Posts
I also purchased the LCS-25 on sale and installed it last week, much nicer charging the Volt in 3.5 hours vs over 10 with the Level 1 charger.
I installed the 30A NEMA plug so my wife can use this charger at her office as soon as the engineers get the 240V receptacle installed as she commutes 37.5 miles each direction, with this charger she can drive to lunch and still be able to make it home.

· Administrator
23,383 Posts
At $595 it's a great price, but what's the warranty period?

· Registered
394 Posts
So this particular clipper creek charger is a "plug-in" type vs hard wire? .....because that's exactly what I want...240v portability!
And to add more questions: Did you put the plug on yourself or did your electrician do that? The LCS-25 is technically a hardwire install, correct?

I'm thinking of getting the clipper creak while it is on sale and then revisiting electricians for quotes for an install. In my home I'm going to need a new sub panel installed as well... hopefully the total cost will be ok

· Registered
435 Posts
The unit comes with bare wires, to be hard-wired. However, it's not a big deal at all to buy the correct plug and receptacle and make it a plug-in setup. I showed my electrician and he said it's very easy if you're somewhat knowledgeable about electrical stuff.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
The unit comes with bare wires, to be hard-wired. However, it's not a big deal at all to buy the correct plug and receptacle and make it a plug-in setup. I showed my electrician and he said it's very easy if you're somewhat knowledgeable about electrical stuff.
Ours arrived Friday. I slapped a plug on the end that matched our dryer [which sits beside the door to the garage] and manually swap the two as needed for now. Having a plug installed in the garage ASAP.

· Registered
14 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Executive car Sedan

Sorry I'm a little late, but still wanted to share another example of mounting the LCS-25. Its smaller size worked out perfectly for its placement overhead and nicely enough the long cord can now reach to either space in my garage.

Dan

· Registered
5 Posts
Did mine this weekend

Really easy to install - I had an unused 240 V 3-phase junction box at the office so I converted this back to a single phase setup. A 25 amp 2-pole breaker is/was tough to find locally so I have it hooked up to a 20 amp 2-pole for the interim (ordered a 25 amp breaker online today). I measured 208V and about 15-16 amp (right at 3.3 kW) at the breaker box and have used it a couple of days without problems. Seems like this is perfectly sized for the Volt and near the lower end of the price range for these gizmos.

· Registered
235 Posts
This is definitely what I would recommend. With this setup you can plug into any standard clothes dryer outlet. When you are visiting friends/relatives, if their clothes dryer is near the garage, you would be good to go.

Also, most RV's use these for their hookups, so this unit makes it possible to grab some electrons at your local RV park.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.