1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
370 Posts
How is this installed? Sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One difference is that the "Island" kit from this company connects directly to the HV battery and can supply up to 3 kW. Would be great if something like this can be used or developed for the Volt.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
One difference is that the "Island" kit from this company connects directly to the HV battery and can supply up to 3 kW. Would be great if something like this can be used or developed for the Volt.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Those tiny wires would melt in no time if you were trying to run 3kW at 12V through them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know it would void the warranty, but tapping into the APM's HV feed would probably work just like it does for the Prius kit.

I wish GM would officially support something like this. There are simply too much losses inverting from the 12V feed.

From what I understand the APM HV feed is switched anyway, so damage to the battery should be impossible.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Now I can run my Xantrex inverter up to a 2KW surge. This will run my fridge and pellet stove. How is this Prius back-up power kit below different than the Volt's wire kit? Would the Prius engine run more frequently than the Volts 6 minutes per hour? Why is the Prius inverter gigantic?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...generator-with-special-kit#comment-1000149898

MrEnergyCzar
I'm pretty sure that I have the same Xantrex inverter ("ProWatt SW" 1000). Even though my refrigerator is rated at 7A steady-state (which is < 1kW inverter continuous rating), the inverter falters and shuts down from the surge (obviously > the 2 kW inverter overload rating) when the refrigerator compressor tries to start. This was through jumper cables from the Volt accessory battery to the inverter, and then through an extension cord from the garage to the kitchen.

Have you actually tried it with your refrigerator? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think I may be happy I have my inverter set up tomorrow with Nemo about to drop 2 ft of snow on us!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'm wondering if the Xantrex XPower Powerpack 1500 might provide a more robust backup solution because it is a battery pack and inverter in one unit. Having 12V from the Volt connected through this powerpack would increase the surge capacity enough to start a refrigerator or freezer compressor and provide a level of buffer between the load and the car. As long as the running load is < 1 kW, a properly connected Chevy Volt would keep up. Si? or No?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm wondering if the Xantrex XPower Powerpack 1500 might provide a more robust backup solution because it is a battery pack and inverter in one unit. Having 12V from the Volt connected through this powerpack would increase the surge capacity enough to start a refrigerator or freezer compressor and provide a level of buffer between the load and the car. As long as the running load is < 1 kW, a properly connected Chevy Volt would keep up. Si? or No?
I *think* it would work, but the problem is that we don't know how much power the accessory battery charger - DC/DC converter (whatever it is called) can provide. The only guidance I've seen from GM is that these inverters could void the warranty, and that the accessory battery also needs to provide power to the accessories (which is why we should have everything else in the car off when we are using the inverter).

Good design practice dictates that the DC/DC converter would have an overload protective shutdown, but in the worst case, too big of a load could blow out that unit and you'd have to pay GM for the part and the repair. I went with the 1000W unit because others have done it without problems.

My other concern is that the 1500 W unit is a modified sine wave (which could cause some appliances to overheat and/or create noise) instead of a pure sine wave, and that the overload rating is 3000 W. This still might not be enough to start your frig.

This test data shows that it could probably start a frig with a nameplate continuous rating of 8A or less (i.e., surge ~= 3X continuous), but YMMV, buyer beware, blah, blah, blah.
http://www.nooutage.com/start.htm

Please let us know if you try it! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts